Taking a Chance

"We...we made it...we made it!" I yelled and let go of Varian's hand and jumped a couple times. I watched as Varian slumped to the ground and looked like he was going to barf. "Sapphires we made it!" I said shaking his shoulders and he pushed my hands off him. "Oh my god don't ever make me do that again. Oh god I think I'm gonna pass out." He said and laughed as I quickly hugged him making him fall back onto the ground and I was on top of him. "Nice job orange. I knew you could do it." Adira said from on top of a rock and I smiled pulling away from Varian. "Get up sapphires!" I said trying to pull him up. "Let me lay here for a minute. We're back in the place where everything is logical and science can't be beat. Let me enjoy this please." He said and I laughed letting him lay on the ground.

"Woah!" I heard and I turned my head to see Eugene falling out of the forest right onto the grind in front of us. "Ow!" He said before looking up to see Adira and I. "Adira! (Y/n)! Ha-ha this actually worked! Have you seen the others?" He asked and I crossed my arms and stood next to the rock Adira was on. "Not since you jumped across the clearing like a delirious madman." She said and he got up from off the ground. "We've gotta find them before nightfall." He said and she slid off the rock. "Mh-hm so what's your plan?" She asked him. "My plan is for you two to take the lead. Please help me find our friends." He said holding the map out to Adira and my eyes widened. "I know exactly where we are, but I'm not sure about the others. The map can only point its user to the exit." Adira said and I looked down at the map in her hand.

"Well, maybe they made it out! Come on!" Eugene said ready to turn around. "They haven't." I said softly and Eugene looked down at me. "You need the map, me, or (Y/n) to get to the exit, and as you can see all of those things are right here." She said and Eugene nodded. "Adira, (Y/n), Varian, I'm sorry for the mess I've gotten us into. It's just-" Eugene said sitting on a mushroom. "Before I met Rapunzel, being an adventurous, devil-may-care rogue was the one definite in my life. It just felt nice to be in charge like that again. Woah!" He said getting up as the mushroom started moving causing me to smile and hold my arms out for the mushroom. "Pupshroom." Adira said and I smiled as the pupshroom came over to me and I scratched the top of it making it bark. Eugene then threw a stick for it.

"But I guess I'm not that guy anymore." Eugene said. "You're right. You're not who you used to be. As you may be aware, I've been observing you and your friends. And it's clear that because of the princess, you've become much more thank just a swashbuckler. You're also a friend. You bring laughter...and warmth. You're the fish skin that holds this group together." Adira said and I smiled up at the two before sitting next to Varian.

"W-wait did you just say?" "It's the optimum compound for making glue." She said and I turned to Varian and he was already looking at me. "She's right. You could also use tree sap for glue as well, but it's harder to use while fish skin takes longer to dry and isn't as sticky when you use it." He said and I nodded. "We can't just give up. Come on, Adira, (Y/n), Varian, I-I don't care if we have to turn this forest inside out, we're gonna find our friends." Eugene said and I stood up quickly.

I must have stood up too fast because my knees collapsed beneath me and my head was spinning. I felt multiple arms wrap around me and I was hovering above the ground. I felt a couple of fingers on my forehead and looked up. In front of me was a tall slender figure with blonde curly hair. He placed one of his fingers in front his mouth with a smirk. "Fate?" I said softly before white covered my vision.

I felt a hand pulling on mine and I opened my eyes. I looked up and saw Fate pulling my hand. "Come on we don't have much time." He said and I stood up and looked behind me at my body. Varian was holding me in his arms and Eugene and Adira were standing over me. "F-Fate...what's going on?" I asked while looking up at him. He pulled out his book and started flipping through the pages. "Huh looks like I'm early? Wow that's never happened before. Okay!" He said before slamming the book shut and giving me a smile.