Tunnels

Varian, Rapunzel, Pascal, Ruddiger, and I were sneaking around the castle. "I get that we're sneaking around, but is anyone going to fill me in one what's going on and why we're sneaking around like wanted criminals?" I asked quietly while we all peaked around a corner. I was only shushed by Rapunzel as she dragged us in front of a large door. "Princess what are we doing here? The fl- I-I meant the you know what, would most likely be in the royal vault, and that is on the other side-" Varian said starting to panic. 'Okay he's seriously hiding something from me.' I thought as I stared at him. "Other side of the castle I know. But if we want to get past the vault security, our best bet is to use the underground tunnels, and Herz de Sonne's journal has a complete map of them." Rapunzel opened the door and we walked into the room that held the journal.

Rapunzel grabbed the book and stared at the painting of her father. "What am I doing?" She asked herself and Barian stepped up to her. "Rapunzel, you got what we came for. Come on, let's go!" She stared down at the ground in complete thought. "Taking the journal, stealing the flower...Varian these are acts of treason." She said looking up at him. 'T-The flower? Oh no! That dream happens today!' I thought to myself.

"This may be my dads only hope. This...maybe Coronas only hope. Rapunzel, Corona needs our help." Rapunzel sighed and stared at the book. "For Corona." I stared at the both of them. "Sapphires, I can get your dad out, j-just give me some time and I-" Varian turned to me and I only saw his grey eyes. "No! I'm not letting you put your life on the line! I've seen what happens whenever you try to melt it!" He said his voice starting to rise.

"Guys we don't have time for this. Let's go." Rapunzel said and we both followed after her. We started running down the halls only for me to run right into Rapunzel's back. I thought I was going to fall, but two arms around my waist pulled me back up. I looked behind me and saw Varian staring at Rapunzel's back.

"Blondie! What are you doing?" I heard Eugene ask. "Doing? Uh, I wasn't doing anything?" She said sounding nervous. "What do you got there?" Varian moved me so I was next to him so I wouldn't be seen. "What?" Rapunzel shoved the book into his gut causing him to groan. "Nothing. Nothing." 'Note to self: don't tell Rapunzel a secret that involves maybe having to lie because she can't lie.' I thought to myself.

"Right. Okay. I know you want to be alone, but Cass and I we..." Rapunzel glanced back at us before snapping her attention back to Eugene. "You okay?" Rapunzel nodded. Varian was staring at Rapunzel when I noticed something hanging out of his pocket. 'What's that?' My hand reached out for it, but hovered before it touched the scroll. 'Maybe I shouldn't....but something is wrong and no one is telling me what's going on....' I carefully grabbed the scroll and placed it in my pocket. 'I'm going to figure out what's going on even if you don't tell me Varian.' Once I put the scroll in my pocket I was dragged down the hall.

Varian was occupied trying to find the entrance of the tunnels and Rapunzel was next to him. I carefully pulled the scroll from my pocket and opened it. My eyes widened as my eyes laid upon the ancient writing. 'This...this is from my home...my mother gave this to me...why does Varian have it?! He must have gotten it when he took me home while I was passed out. But why does he need it?' I glanced up at Varian to see him staring at me. "(Y/n) I can explain!" I sighed and rolled up the scroll. "Then please explain because I'd really like to know why you have this scroll, Varian." I said staring at him.

"The sun drop flower is the only way to save my dad without putting you in danger. That scroll will help us." I rolled my eyes. "Varian I know that already! I want you to explain to me why you stole my scroll! This is one of the few things I still have from my mother. If you wanted it so badly you should've just asked me." I said softly glaring down at the ground. "Look I'm sorry. I just didn't think you'd let me, and I really needed it." Varian said and I sighed. "I understand that you need it, for what I don't know, but this stays with me from now on." I said placing it in my pocket. "Got it? If you want it you ask me." I watched as Varian nodded. "After all of this you and I are having a talk." I said while I grabbed the book from his hands and started walking.

We walked for sometime before I stopped and pointed at the ground. "The entrance should be right down here." I said and I watched as Varian tied vials around a staff. He opened the cover and jumped down. He held his arms out and helped me down into the hole. Rapunzel jumped down after us and I handed her the book. I helped Ruddiger down and we started walking through the tunnels.

"We have to go this way." Rapunzel said as Varian and I looked around the tunnels. "Oh oh! These tunnels depict an ancient technology of pre Corona era-" Varian cut himself off with a scream. In front of him was a skeleton. I giggled and walked up next to him. "It's just a skeleton Sapphires. We all have them inside of us." Varian rolled his eyes. "Because that makes me feel better about it. This way." He said turning to go the other way.

"We've gotta be careful. Herz der Sonne's tunnels may have been long forgotten, but that doesn't mean they're not dangerous. They are lined with deadly booby traps." Rapunzel said looking all around the room. Varian simply scoffed. "As you can recall, I know a thing or two about booby traps." He said as he stepped on one. I quickly shoved him to the ground as arrows went flying past us. "Well that's one down." Varian said from under me. "I think that was a sign from the universe to stop being such a cocky jerk, Sapphs." I said getting up not even bothering to help him up.

Varian got up and we continued through the tunnel. "Hey look! A femur!" I said pointing to a bone on the floor. I ran up to it and crotched in front of it. "Universe if I'm not supposed to touch this you better give me a sign now before I grab it." I stared down at the bone for a few seconds. I quickly held up the bone. "Sapphires look! It's in perfect condition!!" I said holding it up to him. "Ugh! Don't touch that! Aren't you even the slightest bit creeped out by all of the bones?!" Varian asked as I visibly saw him shake. "Why would I be creeped out? They're just bones. Plus I can put this on my altar. I'm sure either Death or Hades will want it." I said while I spun the bone in my hand before placing it in my belt.

"Come on guys. I think we have to go this way." Rapunzel said and we followed. We emerged a different part of the tunnel and once we were all inside, all exits were sealed shut. There was rumbling and suddenly the walls started closing in on us. Varian and Rapunzel quickly ran and tried to stop the walls from moving, but it was no use. "We're gonna get squished!" Varian yelled. 'Think think think! Come on!! Oh! Demanitis once told me of a spell. It's supposed to slow something down. Maybe I can use it on the walls. Come on! How do I do it?!' I started panicking as the walls got closer. I took a deep breathe and raised my hands to face both of the walls. As I breathed out pink surrounded my hands and covered the walls.

The walls started to slow down, but they were still moving. "Someone please figure out how to stop these! I don't know how long I can keep this up!" I said and my vision started to go blurry. "Sooner rather than later please!" Rapunzel grabbed the bone I picked up as well as Varian's staff. "Pascal, wedge this into the axel to stop it from turning. Hurry!" The walls stopped moving and I fell forward onto my hands and knees. "(Y/n)!" I could kind of make out Varian in front of me. My vision started fading in and out.

"I-I'm fine." I said looking up at Varian. "Now go behind the wall to find some sort of release mechanism." Rapunzel said and suddenly the walls started moving again. I quickly stood up and went back to the position I was in before. I watched as the pink surrounding my hands flickered. "Pascal! Hurry!" Rapunzel yelled. The walls went between moving faster and slowing down.

"I don't know how much more (Y/n) can take!" Rapunzel yelled still trying to push on the walls. My vision let out and I hit the ground hard. "No!" I was lifted up quickly and I felt the walls start to squish me and someone else together. I blinked a few times starting to regain my vision. I looked up and saw Varian. "Pascal you did it!" Rapunzel said. "I think I'm gonna be sick." Varian whispered more to himself than Rapunzel or I. "I think the next side affects for learning how to control my powers is starting soon." We got out from between the walls and Varian wrapped his arm around my waist and lifted my arm so it went over his shoulder.

"Thanks Sapphires. My vision is going in and out. I don't know if I'll pass out or not." I said softly as I tried to keep my vision from going cloudy. "Don't worry Milady. I'll carry you all the way if I have to." He said and smiled down at me. 'This is the sapphires I know.'