Ride home

My eyes slowly opened as I felt Varian pulling away. I held onto his shirt and looked up at him. "Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you. Max is gonna take us home." I nodded and Varian helped me onto Max. Varian got on the horse behind me and took the reins. He gently placed his chin on my shoulder so he was able to see. "H-hey Var." I said softly looking down at my bandages arms that had some blood spots on them. "Yes milady?"

I took a deep breathe. "I'm really sorry about what happened. I'm not even entirely sure what happened either. I-I just know that everything seemed fine until the blood red mist covered my eyes. And I couldn't see anything properly. When it cleared slightly...I saw..." Varian held one of my hands. "I-I saw all the people from my old village. They were more angry than they were when they found my mom and I. A-and there was this voice that kept telling me to get revenge on them for what they did to my mom." I said while placing my head in my hands.

"I-I tried to calm myself down I really did! But the voice just got louder and louder, a-and I couldn't do anything to stop myself. My entire being was just in a panic. I-I didn't have control of anything! I just wanted to protect you. And...protect my mom." I said and I felt him squeeze my hands tighter. "Was it your own voice?" Varian asked softly. I shook my head no. "It was new. I don't think I've ever heard that voice before. Th-the energy around it though. It was familiar. It wasn't good either."

"I'm not much of a believer in protection spells or charms, but isn't it supposed to keep you safe from other things?" Varian said and my eyes widened. "You're right." I pulled the protection charm from under my shirt and gasped. The charm was completely twisted and bent in different directions. "H-how is that even possible?" I asked taking it off and handing it to Varian.

"The metal is way too tough to bend by hand. You have to hear it up to make it even slightly moldable." I stared at it for awhile before turning my head so I could see Varian. "Do you think it bent a-and the voice I heard was the demon?" I asked with wide eyes. "I'm not sure." "Wait you still have the one I gave you right?!" I heard Varian laugh softly. "I never take it off milady." He said showing me his intact pendant. "Thank god yours is okay. I don't know what I'd do if the demon got to you." I said looking down.

"I'm not going anywhere milady. Don't worry." He said kissing my cheek. I blushed and I stared down at my bandages arms. "There's blood on the bandages, but I don't remember getting cut by anything." I said lifting my arm up. "About that...when you were completely surrounded by the red mist, your body became completely bruised and then some of the bruises opened up." Varian said.

"The next stage. But I was also bleeding and I have bruises." "Maybe they will all still occur until you reach the final stage." I simply nodded. After that we reached the meadow. It looked like more rocks had appeared at the boarder.

"I'll make sure to get a better look at those the next time I come." Varian said while staring at the rocks. Varian helped me off of Maximus and into the cabin.

"Let's get you in bed milady." He said while picking me up bridal style and setting me on my bed. Varian was about to leave when I grabbed his hand. "Varian can you please stay tonight?" I asked barely above a whisper. He placed his hand on my cheek and smiled at me. "How could I say no to those doe eyes?" With that he got under the covers with me.

He pulled me closer to his chest making sure not to hurt me. His arms went around my waist and mine were on his chest. My fingers would mess with the fabric of his shirt occasionally. Varian fell asleep before me for once. I stared at how perfect his freckled features were. I kissed his cheek. "I love you Sapphires and I'll do anything to protect you." With that I laid my head back in his chest and fell asleep.