☆ seventeen ☆

Mabel's POV

I look up from the ground to see Emiko walking without Mason, "hey, em?" She looks up and smiles lightly, "hi Mae, what's up?"

"Where's Mason?" She shrugs, "uhm..has he disappeared on you too?"

"What do you mean-?" She stops walking, "he hasn't talked to me since Friday.."

"That was the last time I seen him." She looks down. She looked a little sad about it, "hey, Mae?"

"Hm? Yeah?"

"I-I didn't have a chance to see him after school...how was he..?"

"What is he normally? How bad is he normally?" She shrugs, "I don't know.."

"He told me last Friday, em..You can tell me.."

"...uhm...h-he can't see sometimes...and sometimes he says that he can't feel anything in his body. He says it's painful...a-and sometime ps he can't even talk at all.." I could see the tears starting to break at the edge of her eyes. It made her bright blue eyes shine bright, however there wasn't light. There was no hope in her eyes.

"Em-"

"H-He's dying, Mae..and there's nothing I can do..I just feel useless.."

"Is he not getting treatment..?" She scoffs, but it comes out more as a laugh, "Mae, your parents are paying for his surgery in a couple months...my family opened a fund for him.." she smiled sadly, "I don't know...he's my boyfriend and it just feels like I'm just here..watching him die quicker and quicker and-"her ringtone goes off."

"Mason Uenagi is calling.." her phone rings. She answers it quickly.

Mason's POV

"Hey, Em!" The nurse waves as she walks out the room with the medication cart. I could practically hear her smile through the phone, "sorry for not being in contact recently."

"A-Are you okay-?" I smile, "I'm okay."

"You're not stuttering.."

"O-One of my good days, I guess." She giggles, "I have ten minutes before school."

"Why'd you leave so early?"

"I didn't mean to."

"Hey, Em..?"

"Hm?"

"...study for your entrance exams soon."

"It's still winter, Mason." I chuckle as another doctor comes in, "yeah, better early than late." She laughs, "you're such a dork." I laugh with her, "u-uhm...I have to go now."

"Oh..okay."

"I'll call you after school."

"You promise?" I smile, "yes, em."

"Okay.."

"Bye, bug."

"Bye, bee..." I hang up and sigh as the doctor smiles, "who was that?"

"A-A friend." I whisper, taking a sip of water.

"Well, Uenagi, from what we see, the surgery isn't going to be a tough procedure! Your medication is slowing the spread right now. Again, the surgery is only going to get rid of the tumor, along with radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and probably a lot of other things followed by that. Right now, two of your funds are paid off by the Sawamura and Fumiko family, so your surgery, radiation therapy, and the following therapy is paid for. However the most important one isn't...chemo."