☆ fourteen ☆

a little part of daisuga : )

but some sad stuff.

Koushi's POV

I wake up to arms being snaked around my waist. I smile lightly as I turn around.

"Hey, Kou." He whispers, "did I wake you up?"

"Mhm..you did."

"Sorry." I take in the familiar scent and look up at my husband. He looked exhausted.

"You look tired, Daichi." I rest my head on his chest, liking the warmth that I barely got.

He chuckles and pets my head, "I am, sweetheart."

After laying in silence, I finally feel myself getting tired again.

"It's 3 am, Sugar..I'm really getting tired of this job.." Daichi never vents to me. He always have thought it was a bother. Truth is, I want him to vent. Get it out.

I open my eyes and listen to him. Everything.

"I barely get home for supper anymore, I don't get to see you or even my own daughter.." he plants a small kiss on my forehead. I grab his hand and sigh, "it's okay to take a break, Daichi.."

"That's the problem...it never gets done. I never feel completely done with anything. Because once I get a break, more work comes in. Once I take a day off, people still call me. I'm still at work, even at home." We lay in silence, "Daichi..?"

"Hm?" I shut my eyes again as they got heavy, "do you ever want to quit..?"

"All the time.." I hold his hand tighter, "quit your job.."

"What do you-?"

"I've known you most of my life, Daichi. I know you're not the kind of guy to want to quit." I sit up, pulling him up with me, "that isn't true."

I giggle, "remember that time at the bowling alley? You wouldn't quit unless you got first."

"That's one time."

"I can name off years of you not wanting to quit. You've done this job for nearly ten years, Daichi. And you don't even like it."

"Ive actually done fifteen years of this job-"

"That proves my point further. We weren't even married yet."

"What about you? I'm not letting you pay things alone." I chuckle, "it's fine, Daichi. I'll do everything until you find a job you genuinely enjoy." He smiles before giving me a small kiss.

"I missed you, Sugar." I smile as I rest my forehead on his, "I know you did. Now, you woke me up. So I'm going back to sleep."

"I'll quit by next month."

"Okay." We lay back down and he spoons me, giving me a small kiss on the neck, "goodnight, sugar..."

"Goodnight.."

"I love you so much.." I smile lightly, "I love you too."

- - -

Mason's POV

-over a week later-

"I don't get why you want to do this so badly, you're okay." My mother says as we get out of the car, "yeah, I know.."

"So why are here?" I cough, "just to check." This is day number 10 of having a headache. I've had this headache for ten days, my vision blurs sometimes, I've had a loss of appetite, throwing up, and even more things. I'm not exactly sure what's wrong, and I've been avoiding telling Emiko about it.

Her mom's a nurse, and she kind of learns a lot from her mother, so if I told her the symptoms, she'd probably pinpoint exactly what it was. I just want to make sure.

As we walk in, I do most of the talking as my mother sulks that we're here.

"Mason Uengai." A doctor calls out and I stand up, my mother following. It felt uncomfortable with her here. She's really just my ride and the reason I could be here anyway.

- - -

After they did loads of tests, the doctor comes in with multiple papers, not looking pleased at all. He sits down and sighs, "well, Mason, we have bad news." I look at the ground, "we found a tumor in your brain. A very rare tumor, actually. It's called Glioblastoma multiforme, or GBM. It's a rare brain tumor that developed star shaped cells that could kill the brain nerves around it. It's fast-growing." He hands me the papers of the images, showing me the star-shapes cells.

I want to get sick.

"The only possible treatment is surgery, followed by radiation and chemotherapy. Uhm...it could cost a lot, but we do offer funds. The treatment process could take about a year or two to finally kill the cancer"

My voice was stuck in my throat.

I wasn't thinking about myself, nope. I was thinking about Mabel and Emiko. Their reactions will be the death of me..

- - -

"Emi, I-" she hugs me tightly, letting out a small cry, "I-I told you, Mason..."

"I know.." I held her as she cried onto my shoulder. She held on tight, extremely tight, "p-please tell me you're taking treatment..y-you caught it early r-right?" She pulled back to look at me. I cup her cheek and shake my head, "my family can't afford it, Em...it's only going to get worst.."

"I-I'll ask my family! W-We'll start a fund- y-you can't die, Mason.." she hugs me again, shutting her eyes tightly as the tears glide down her face.

"No..no...no..." she repeats.

over and over and over and over and over.

She cries until she can't stand anymore. We sat on the floor as she cried for nearly an hour.

She fell asleep hugging me, crying. I look down at her and see how much pain she's in. Her eye's were puffy and red, her cheeks were stained with tears, and her hair was everywhere, due to me trying to comfort her.

I pick her up and place her on the bed lightly, pulling a blanket over her. I grab a piece of paper and pen, telling her that I left.

One down...one more to go..

my best friend.

- - - end of chapter - - -

.....don't ask why I know so much about sad and deadly diseases. I just do.

song: the internet ruined me - Wilbur soot

words: 1015

finished: april 10, 2021 at 9:55 pm.

vote

comment

share

-oliver (it/its)