CHAPTER EIGHT

"Wow. This is breathtaking," Paige declared.

"Yeah, it is. Whenever I come to Dover, I try to do it at least once," Brian said.

Paige looked around at the picturesque view. When Brian said they were going to see the White Cliffs of Dover, she never imagined they would be doing it in a hot air balloon. Henry drove them straight to Benedict Balloons. A hot air balloon service near the coast. Brian was a regular customer and even knew how to fly one by himself.

Paige was skeptical about it, but Brian encouraged her to give it a go. Never being one to back out of a challenge, she hopped right in.

The dark, blue waves crashed against the shore and the orange sun set in the distance. High up in the air, it was peaceful, and ironically, she had never felt so alive. The initial fear she had nursed as they ascended to the sky was long forgotten.

"Paige, look," Brian said. He pointed in the direction of the giant, white cliffs and tapped her hand.

Paige turned away from the sunset and looked. The cliff in its bright, morning glory was lovely, but the deep, amber glow of the cliff reflecting the sunset was spectacular.

"Wow. It is amazing," Paige said.

"You mean it this time," Brian affirmed.

Paige giggled while she tapped her fingers on her purse. "Sorry for biting your head off before we came here."

"No worries." He gave her a pointed look and concluded. "You would do a lot less 'head biting' if you would calm down and get all the facts before snapping though."

"Well, you would get your head bitten a lot less if you could make yourself clear from the start," Paige retorted.

"Fair enough. I will try to make myself clear as much as possible."

"Okie dokie. I will try to be absolutely clear about things before I react."

Brian chuckled and raised an eyebrow. He rubbed the back of his neck and looked away from the cute pout of her lips. She smiled knowingly and gazed at the white foam of the ocean waves in the distance. They settled into a comfortable silence. The gentle wind made their hot air balloon drift slowly to the East. Both of them did not reveal to one another that they rarely had misunderstandings with other people. The cool breeze caressed their skin, and they were lost in their thoughts.

"So, how do we get down?" Paige asked.

"Relax, we have parachutes and life jackets in the corner," Brian replied.

"You have got to be kidding me," Paige hissed.

"Please remain calm. I pulled the lever a couple of times, but it is not functioning. Do not panic, we will be fine."

Paige rummaged through her purse for her mobile phone but when she found it, her shoulders slumped. Her battery was low before they ascended and she had taken a zillion pictures. It was not surprising that the battery was dead. Sadly, she saw Brian take his phone out of his pocket, and turn in different directions. He obviously had no network reception on his mobile.

She looked intently at Brian. Hoping to see the mischievous glint he usually had in his eyes when he was pulling her leg. He looked back at her with a plain face. Her heart started to beat erratically in her chest.

Brian held her hand. "Take deep breaths. In and out. In and out. Panicking will not get us out of this."

Paige tried to do the breathing exercises, but her breaths still came in short, fast puffs.

"Now, there is a vent that will allow hot air to escape," Brian said calmly. "What did I say?"

"There is a vent that will allow hot air to escape," Paige repeated.