08, tainted blood

Start from the beginning

"Just don't die too much, otherwise you'll turn into a psychopath and try to kill me - it's happened before, not pretty. Jared seriously, you have no idea what people would do to get this, you have to protect it and yourself."

"You're saying that like something bad is gonna happen?"

"Call it vampire's intuition."

She had given him the ring, only a few minutes before the bell rang for Coach's class. Earlier that morning, Roxy dropped the puppy off at her neighbour's house - the old woman was quick to grant her wish and smiled warmly at the girl. There were only two seats left as they walked into class, behind Scott and Stiles, beside Jackson. Jared groaned as he saw the pale boy, with snake like features almost hissing at him as they met eyes. Roxy walked over to behind Stiles, sitting behind him and beside the Whittemore boy. As Coach entered the classroom and set down his papers, Jackson called over to the two boys.

"Hey, testicle left and right. What the hell is a kanima?" Stiles and Scott looked over to each other, and Roxy to Jared, and they all stilled. Coach started to talk about the midterm exam, and for a volunteer so solve problems on the board. "Paralyzed from the neck down. Do you have any idea what that feels like?"

Stiles turned around and saw Roxy, who was laughing with Jared about Coach's hair, twisting her own. She looked happy, she made sure everything she cared about in this town was safe and her new sense of relief reflected in her smile. He didn't tell Scott about his late night adventure with Roxy the previous night, he wanted to keep it to himself, he felt giddy when he thought about it all - a secret of his own. He looked to Jackson, "I'm familiar with the sensation."

"Wait - why would Derek test you? Why would he think that it's you?"
"How should I know?"
"Wait, do they think it's Lydia?"
"I don't know, all I heard was her name and something about chemistry."
"How do we know it's not her?"

"Because I looked into the eyes of that thing, okay? And what I saw was pure evil. And when I look into Lydia's eyes, I only see 50% evil," he thought about it for a second. "All right, maybe 60. You know, but no more than 40 on a good day."

"Stiles, that's not a very good argument."
"I'm aware of that, but I swear it's not her. It can't be, all right? Lydia's fine."

Roxy had simultaneously been listening to Jared and the the boys' conversation. She had never seen a Kanima before, and she didn't know the 'fundamental rules' about them like she did with vampires or werewolves - but Lydia? Lydia? Lydia? No. Yes? Maybe. She knew that she had been bitten by a werewolf before, and that she didn't turn or die.

A long time ago she had heard stories from villages saying that, sometimes people shifted into the form that they truly were. The rumours were that a boy had begged to be turned - had begged for power - but when he did, he transformed into a beast, a beast that was controlled by the person who gave him the form, and he was feared until one day, the boys' head was chopped off. She still didn't like Lydia per say but she wasn't a hideous lizard - she heard her crying in the bathroom yesterday.

Roxy knew that Jared could also hear their conversation, and he felt his heart stop. Lydia couldn't die - he wasn't going to let her. Lydia stood up to answer the question on the board, walking up with robotic movements, like she wasn't in the right state of mind. Slowly she started to write on the board with white chalk, in circles.

Ǝ𝑴 ꓒ⅃Ǝ𝑯 ƎИ𝑶Ǝ𝑴𝑶Ƨ

"Uhhh okay then," Coach snapped her out of her trace, she was breathing heavily, like she'd been slapped in the face, and tears had gathering her eyes, falling down he flushed cheeks already, "anybody else want to try answering? This time in English?" He looked at her in shock, and he was worried about if this was going to get him trouble.