Rwby Vol. 8 Part 4

Start from the beginning

Jack: Did it just call for back up?!

I AT my greatsword and sliced apart any of the Grimm in my way. I hear Yang call out to Jaune and Niko as they abandoned their bike and got on Yang's due to the Grimm. I ran in front of them and fried more Grimm as they were blocking the way. A wyvern stops in front of us and Niko released an arrow, knocking it back before I slammed my hammer against its head.

Niko: Woah woah woah watch out!

I looked up ahead and saw the drop off. Yang swiveled to the side and the three started rolling along the snow as I tried to slow down, but it was difficult to gain any traction. Yang, Niko, and Jaune fell off as he left his sword behind and I quickly change my mind, opting to drop down to save them. Ren came to the rescue and used his grapples to hook on Jaune's sword, all the while grabbing me in between his legs. A wyvern came and brushed against us thanks to Ren activating his semblance just in time, making the horde just above us disperse. However, the Grimm we were chasing flew toward Salem without any further distractions...

--Y/n's POV--

Weiss knocked on Schnee's Mansion's front door and Whitley opened them, showing surprise that we weren't caught yet.

Whitley: Oh you picked a fine time to-- | Weiss: *puts the tip of Myrtenaster against his neck* Not. another. word. We're coming in. (William lets out a wolf whistle) | Whitley: Things are already bad enough after what you did to Father, now you want us to harbor fugitives too? Our family has a reputation. | Y/n: *pissed off* That's what you're worried about? Your reputation? | Whitley: I'm just saying that we've already lost all the house staff, and mother locked herself in her room!

Weiss: Maybe you just haven't figure out what's going on, Whitley, but we're busy trying to save Atlas. | Ruby: Look, our friend is hurt. We just need a place to lay low while she rests and then we'll be out of your way. | Whitley: *rolls his eyes* Fine. What do you expect me to do then? | Weiss: *points up to the stairs* Go to your room. 

With a dejected sigh, he follows her command. She then leads William and May, with Nora in her hands, toward a room. I look toward Ruby and see her looking distantly at the front door.

Y/n: Ruby? | Ruby: I hope everyone's doing alright. | Blake: If you're worried about Yang, you could always try calling her. | Ruby: That's the thing...I did. (shows her scroll, letting a moment pass as the device didn't get a reply from Yang)

--Jack's POV--

Jaune: *sending a distress call* I repeat, if anybody can hear me... (sighs) We need transport back to Mantle... You got anything, Jack? Niko? | Jack: *trying to communicate with Y/n or William via telepathy* Nothing, we're too far out. | Niko: Same here...

So, we started retracing our steps, walking back toward the snowy plains as the sun begins to set.

Yang: We need to get out of this weather before it drops our auras down completely. How much farther to the outpost? (she was talking to Ren, but he replied with silence) Ren, how much-- | Ren: I don't know. 

Yang looks back toward us and we either shrug or gave her a confused look.

Yang: *walks up to his side* I thought you said you saw it when you were in the air. | Ren: I did, before I had to cut myself lose to help you guys. | Yang: Yeah, you brought that up a couple times now. Something you need to say? | Ren: Not really, wouldn't want to waste any more time...

Yang: *gets in front of him* Hey! What is your deal? | Ren: Don't worry about it. | Yang: Well, I'm sorry things aren't going smoothly enough for you. | Niko: Guys... | Ren: They are not going smoothly at all! | Yang: I hate to break it to you, but that's part of being a Huntsman. | Ren: Are you kidding? We don't know the first thing of being Huntsman! We clearly weren't ready. | Jaune: Guys! Stop it!

Yang: Were we not ready when we saved Haven? When we took down a leviathan?  We got the Lamp to Atlas! | Ren: And then we lost it! And after that, when we had to make real decisions, we got every single one wrong. | Yang: I'm not gonna pretend we did everything perfectly, but if we've done nothing, things would be even worse than they are now. | Ren: How could they be possibly worse?! We are stuck out here while Salem has the Lamp and Oscar! We got no plan, no army.

Yang: We got the Maiden! | Ren: And by keeping him from opening the vault for Ironwood, we're trapping the WHOLE FOR SALEM! People are going to die, because of us. | Yang: So what, we should give Ironwood what he wants? Abandon Mantle? You think Atlas is still gonna be able to float to safety now that she's here? | Ren: I don't know! But these aren't the kind of decisions we should be making because we have no idea what we're doing! | Jack: Okay, both of you, cut it out.

Ren: I'm just saying what nobody else wants to. We're in way over our heads, Ruby is barely more than a kid, I'm just an orphan from the middle of nowhere-- | Jaune: --Ren, I-- | Ren: --YOU CHEATED YOUR WAY INTO BACON--

 We're in way over our heads, Ruby is barely more than a kid, I'm just an orphan from the middle of nowhere-- | Jaune: --Ren, I-- | Ren: --YOU CHEATED YOUR WAY INTO BACON--

Ren: BEACON!

Everyone showed a shocked expression...

Jaune: *keeps his calm* You don't think we should be Huntsmen? Fine, but I'm getting out of the cold. Still got a job to do.

With the gloomy atmosphere, we followed Jaune by his side.

Yang: *to Ren* Seriously, is your goal to push everyone away?

Eventually night falls and we're able to find the outpost Ren mentioned earlier. I banged against the heater and it worked, magically.

Jack: *whisper* Huh, cartoon logic be damned. (Niko giggles as she was beside me)

Jaune: *sighs* You're right, Ren. I...I did cheat my way into Beacon, and I'm glad that I have people around me to see that I-I was bigger than that mistake. You've got people around you too. You don't have to force yourself to be strong. The more you hide what you're feeling, the more alone you're going to feel. Trust me...

Ren, again, responds to him with silence.

Yang: If anyone cares, I found a part to fix the bike, so, yay! | Jack: Woooooo...! | Niko: Release the fireworks! 

We chuckle, giggle, or softly smiled at our own japes, lifting the mood to a slightly more positive side.

Yang: For what its worth, I'm sorry he said that to you. I know you had to work hard to get here, Jaune. | Jaune: We're all under a lot of stress right now. I used to push people away too. | Yang: Do you...think she thinks less of me...for not helping out with Amity? | Jack: Ruby's your sister, Yang. She's always going to love you, even if you disagree with each other. | Yang:...yeah...Ruby... | Jaune: *groans* I need to get some sleep, but, I can't stop thinking about Oscar... | Niko: Me too... (Jaune takes the lower bunk bed while she gets the top bed) | Jack: You two go on, Yang and I'll make sure Ren doesn't brood himself out in the cold. | Jaune: Thanks. I just have a bad feeling...things always seem to get worse before they get better.