chapter 7

Haven’t I told you that I hate shopping for dresses, because I really do?! Although I don’t really mind wearing dresses I just rather not because I always think there too dressy when I go to put them on so I never go out in them. That’s why I stopped getting dresses when I was eight; I was just wasting my parents’ money. It had taken us about an hour to walk from my house to the mall.

We walked through the crowed parking lot full of people trying to find spots and walked in through the main entrance. We got one of those little mall map things and used it to find out way to S&K, so the boys could buy their tuxedos.

The store was filled with a few middle aged men looking through all the suits and suit pieces on display. Olivia and I waited near the dressing room as the boy’s looked through the clothes.

It didn’t take then long to find something: Jasper got a gray tux with a blue shirt and black tie. Eddie—who, unlike Jasper and Shane didn’t seem unconcern about being forced to get a tux—got a navy blue tux with a white shirt and navy beige tie. And lastly, Shane got a black tux with a white shirt and green tie. Thankfully they all passed Liv’s inspection and we didn’t have to stay there any longer.

The boys paid for the tuxes and we went back out into the main hall filled with girls with short-shorts and flip-flops, boys with baggy jeans that showed their underwear, parents with kids and seniors sitting on benches. People were mingling around the little kiosks set up every twenty or so yards.

“So, which store next?” Eddie asked.

“Churros?” I asked, turning my nose towards their delicious scent that wafted over from a kiosk.

“If you want churros you should ask my mom, she makes the best,” Olivia told me. “Besides, I’m feeling more like Chinese.”

“As long as its food I don’t care, I’m starving,” Shane said.

“Now you’re starting to sound like Ed,” Jasper joked.

“Well sorry if y’all can’t eat as much as me,” Eddie replied, slipping into a country accent, making us laugh.

We worked our way to the food court which was teeming with more teens hanging out with their friends all wearing the same style of clothes—probably too afraid to stick out and be different. Olivia, Jasper and Eddie stuck with getting Chinese but once I saw the little Taco Bell stand I had an overwhelming urge for a quesadilla. Shane came along with me and got four tacos.

“I guess you really are turning into Eddie,” I told him as we looked for a table.

“No, their tacos are just small,” he replied.

“True, I usually only get quesadillas when I go there and make my own tacos at home,” I told him. “I remember once one of my brothers friends saw me make a taco and said if I was working at Taco Bell I could be hocking them up because mines are probably twice as big as theirs.”

“Then we should really get you a job at Taco Bell,” Shane joked.

“I do not want to work at any fast food joint!”

“Then where do you want to work?”

I smiled, “I want to be a vet.”

“So if any of us gets hurt you can fix us up?” Amusement lighting his green eyes.

“Don’t—you guys—heal fast?”

“Well, true. Look, there’s a table over there.” Shane pointed. We hurried over and claimed the table before anyone else could.

“That’s kind of ironic,” Shane said as he unwrapped his first taco.

“What’s ironic?” Olivia asked as she, Eddie and Jasper reached our table, setting down their trays.