chapter 6

“So what should we do now?” Jasper asked as one the kitchen staff walked off our empty plates away.

I was sitting back in my chair resting my hand on my stomach because sure enough, I had gotten too much food. But if I thought about it, I needed all that food because not only was it filling but I could use the extra bulk, it would come in handy if I ever see those Hunters again. But it was nothing compared to what Eddie ate, he had almost twice the amount of food I did and he ate every bite of it. Although I don’t thinks he’s going to be getting up very soon.

“I was thinking about trying to figure out what I am,” I told them. “It’s starting to bother me, not knowing.”

“Oh, I know what we need to do! We need to take Mackenzie to the mall so she can get some new clothes and a dress for when the prince comes,” Olivia said ecstatically, hazel eyes bright; completely ignoring what I just said. But in her defense she looked like she had slipped into her own mind after Jasper had spoken.

“Um, can’t just go back to my house and get some clothes from there?” I asked. “Besides, finding out what I am is more important.”

“Oh yeah, I didn’t think of that but you still need a dress for when then prince comes,” Olivia replied. “Plus we can try to figure out what you are on the way there. There’s nothing here you can do here that can help you figure out what you are besides us helping you narrow it down."

“Why can’t I just wear a regular shirt and jeans?” I asked, I’m nothing but persistent. If I can talk my way out of getting a dress I will, but I have a feeling I’m going to lose this argument against Olivia.

“Because it is a special occasion, besides everyone knows when you met royalty you have to dress formal!” Olivia insisted.

“I know that but I don’t like dresses,” I complained.

“You’re still going to wear a dress,” Olivia stubbornly.

I was about to protest when Eddie cut me off, “Just do it, she won’t stop until you cave, trust me, it’ll be easier just to give in.”

“Fine,” I grumbled.

“Have fun,” Jasper said sarcastically.

“Actually we’re all going,” Olivia said, “You three need to get tuxes, there’s no way Mackenzie is going to meet the prince without us, we’re like her support group.” Support group? “And what if the vampires attack while we’re out, there’s no way I can take all three of them by myself.”

Shane, Eddie and Jasper groaned.

“But we don’t have the money to buy suits?” Jasper objected, pointing at Shane and himself.

“Eddie why don’t you go and see if your parents can pay for Jasper’s suit and Shane I’ll see if my parents can buy you one?” Olivia suggested.

“Um, can I ask—?”

“No,” Jasper answered sharply before I could even finish my question, green eyes blazing. Shane just sat there like he didn’t hear anything.

“I’ll go ask my parents, I’ll catch up with you guys at the gate.” Eddie said a little awkwardly as he got up.

“Yeah, me too,” Olivia told us as she got up to follow Eddie from the table leaving me with Jasper and Shane. Jasper left the table and started hurriedly walking away without a word.

“Don’t worry about him,” Shane told me as he stood up. “It’s still a sore subject for both of us.”

“Sorry,” I muttered.