It had been hours and you decided there was no use wiping the counter off for the fifth time, it was as clean as it could be but being unable to sit still was getting to you. You made your way out of the hall and back to the hill. You walked with such tunnel vision that the faces you passed blurred in your mind. They weren't Bucky's face and that's the only one you wanted to see right now. Luckily your ears were still working, you stumbled for a moment thinking your mind was playing a trick on you but you thought you'd heard someone calling your name.

"Hey." You greeted confused by her presence.

"Hey, can uh we talk?" She asked rubbing one of her palms over her arm. You stepped back leading her to a small quiet corridor.

"What's going on? Is Buck-" You asked worried now. She interrupted you quickly.

"Oh, I don't know about- I wasn't in med bay I just wanted to talk with you."

"About?"

"I just, I know you must know about Bucky and I." You shook your head confirming. It didn't feel boastful or malicious, she really did just want to talk. "I wanted to tell you my side of the story."

"I don't think that's ne-"

"I don't think you and I are going to be friends that's not what this is," She said it almost as an apology.  "-and I'm not trying to undermine him but I know him more than he would care to admit. I know him so well that I know he loves you more right now than he ever loved me." Your mind went quiet as you listened to her. You weren't expecting this at all, it almost left you slightly shocked. "For a really long time, Bucky thought I was his only chance at happiness. I know he didn't mean to do it, and he'd never admit it, but that puts a lot of pressure on a woman. He was protective and I'm sure you still get glimpses of that." You smiled and shook your head at her, protective was a good word to describe your soldier.

"It's one of his best attributes." You weren't a fan of the temper that came along with it sometimes, but he made you feel safe.

"I couldn't handle the pressure of my job and loving him. He doesn't want this anymore though," She gestured around her, referring to the hill the entirety of Stark Industries, the Avengers. "-he's done saving the world." You watched her eyes fade out behind you as he mind traveled back in time. "I was cold to him, a lot of the times he needed to be cared for, I put the job in front of him. He loves helping people but he wants a partner more than anything. I work alone."

"Nat, I don't understand why you're telling me this

"Nat, I don't understand why you're telling me this." You watched and thought you were imagining it when the tears started gathering in her eyes.

"I wish I could have been that for him, I couldn't it just wasnt in me. I was always ready to walk away no matter how much he wanted me to stay." You could see her choking on her words as she was trying to keep her tears in her eyes. "You have given him something no one thought was ever possible, you gave him a home. He just wants to go home, it's all he's wanted for 90 years."