Waiting for Dr. Ramsey

Start from the beginning

Ethan was nervous as he waited for Cassie at their table at Derry's Roasters

Ethan was nervous as he waited for Cassie at their table at Derry's Roasters. It had become their spot since the first time she'd accompanied him for coffee many months ago. Since then, they'd made it a point to meet here when they were working on Naveen's case. Free from prying eyes and ears, they could openly talk about Naveen and, if Ethan was honest with himself, the distance between attending and intern didn't seem unsurmountable away from the hospital.

He'd ordered a Romano for her and a Vienna for himself. From his vantage point, he saw her crossing the street when the walk sign came on, the sunlight catching her blonde hair. He remembered running his fingers through her hair that last morning together in her bed, watching the morning sun turn it golden and feeling its softness as her head lay on his chest.

His eyes traced her as she walked through the door and towards him, taking off her light spring coat before taking the seat across from him.

"It's so good to see you," Cassie sighed as she inhaled the smell of her espresso.

"You're talking to the coffee, aren't you?" Ethan smirked remembering from their trip to Miami that she wasn't a morning person, especially not before her first cup of coffee.

"No comment." Cassie smiled over the cup, appreciating the caffeine kickstart her system and the sight of Ethan in her favorite look for him ─ black bomber jacket over a blue shirt, dark tie loosened and slacks that made his legs look even longer.

They enjoyed their coffee in silence, comfortable in each other's company and content to let the moment linger before reality intruded.

"Cassie..." Ethan was the one to break the silence. He had to. Things were not as they were. Too much had happened between them.

"Ethan, please," she pleaded, putting her cup down before it fell from her trembling hands. "Don't say it."

"We have to be reasonable."

"Why?"

"Because your career is too important. It's why you came to Edenbrook, remember?"

"I came to learn from you!" she exclaimed. "I believe we can be together and still do that. Don't you believe in us?"

"It isn't about what I believe. I need to push you and I can't do that if I..." He stopped. He loved her. He loved Cassie Valentine and he'd almost blurted it out. He knew if he said the words, there would be no going back; she wouldn't accept him pushing her away.

"If you what?" Cassie asked.

He shook his head and turned away, not trusting himself when she looked so appealing.

"Ethan...," she waited until he faced her again. "I love you."

"Cassie, I..."

"I don't expect you to say it back. I don't," she said quickly when he opened his mouth to speak. "But I want you to know how I feel because I'm not giving up on us. If I have to wait two more years for my residency to end and we can be together, I will. Just tell me it's not hopeless."