Annabeth: Integration Mission Status - Out of Hand

Annabeth raced into her room and skidded to a stop when she reached her bed.

“TRAVIS! CONNOR!” she hollered. There was no answer but the echo of her voice. She slowly shut the door, aware that one of the brothers could burst out from behind her bed and under her dresser and yell, “EARLY APRIL FOOLS!’” She hastily changed into a Camp Half-Blood t-shirt and cutoffs, praying to Athena that one of the Stolls wouldn’t surprise her while she was changing.

Annabeth smiled as she thought about what came next.

See, while most girls would squeal about getting a whole new wardrobe of clothes and shoes, or a sleek white pony they could ride off into a beauteous sunset, most demigod girls had a slightly different dream.

Weapons.

It wasn’t like they were weapons-obsessed high-functioning sociopaths (Annabeth had been watching too much Sherlock), but when weapons became a day-to-day theme in life, a ticket to survival, they could get excited. Would the knife be celestial bronze? Would it have a leather hilt? Would the bow be made of oak or yew? After Annabeth had lost her knife to Tartarus (darn Arachne), she hadn’t found a new knife. She’d used many, but none had been the one. She was hoping as she walked into the weapons room that she’d find the perfect knife.

As she cracked open the door, there was a loud scream, woven with franticness. There was the muffled sound of metal-against-metal and Annabeth quickly grabbed the first knife she saw and went running down the hallway. Finally, she reached the action.

Near the caboose, the lights were flickering. She could see two swords clashing against each other and two distinct hair colors, one golden and one black… oh, Percy!

Leo’s voice sounded through the loudspeakers.

“STOP! STOP IT!” The lights went on suddenly and revealed the situation; Percy and Jason fighting amongst a crowd of demigods. Frank was circling the boys in sparrow form, Piper was nervously fingering the feather in her hair, and Nico was holding out his Stygian iron sword, ready to strike and Will was next to him, fists out in front of him like he was ready to bust out some serious karate moves.

Percy crumpled to the ground.

“Oh, man, I messed up heroically…” Percy facepalmed. Jason let his sword drop to the ground.

“Sorry, bro,” he said sheepishly.

“What the Hades is going on?” Annabeth’s voice was ice. She stomped towards Percy.

“What did you think you were doing? I know you and Jason have had some rivalries in the past, but I thought you were above outright trying to kill him! Gods, Seaweed Brain! Why am I even dating you?” Annabeth immediately realized she had gone too far. Sure, she was mad, but she couldn’t take out all the anxiety that had been building on Percy! Poor Percy looked like he had been slapped.

“Sorry,” she whispered.

“I… I can explain, Annabeth,” said Percy, standing up.

“Please do,” said Annabeth.

“Well, I was looking for the Stolls and then the lights went out. I saw a huge shape and thought it was a monster or something trying to attack us. I started fighting and then…. “

“It was me,” said Jason. “we both thought we were fighting a monster and-”

“Does it even matter?” screeched Hazel. “where are the Stolls? This quote-unquote ‘integration mission’ is out of control before it even started.” She crossed her arms over her chest and looked at the boys. “I think two specific people need some flashlights.” Percy blushed, and Annabeth put an arm around his shoulders.

“Um, guys,” said Piper. “You might want to come outside.” Everyone straggled towards the caboose.

“I’m so sorry, Percy. I didn’t mean it,” said Annabeth. Percy lay his head on her shoulder.

“It’s okay, Wise Girl. We’re all strung pretty tight. And hey, it was dark. Jason looks like a freaking Minotaur! He’s got some serious shoulders!” Annabeth laughed. Percy always knew how to cheer her up.

“I wonder where the Stolls are?” said Annabeth.

“I know. At first I thought they were just pranking us, but they’d never leave us alone for so long. This doesn’t even count as a prank, anyway.”

“Maybe… maybe Gaea is back and getting revenge.” The words felt like metal in Annabeth’s mouth. It was painful to shape them, to let them free. Gaea had ripped everything Annabeth had put back together into a million pieces. Gaea had sent them to Tartarus!

“No way, Wise Girl. They’re probably just… I don’t know… “ Percy searched for an answer.

“Oh my gods!” someone yelped.

“They’re on the roof,” said Frank’s unmistakable voice. “Percy, Annabeth. Travis and Connor… they’re on the roof!” Percy and Annabeth shared a look.

“Serves them right… “ murmured Percy.

“Hey!” replied Annabeth.

“Percy, we may need your help,” said Hazel. Percy shrugged at Annabeth and broke into a sprint.

Annabeth followed, ready for a new adventure.