"Kris you are smiling." Lee says.

"Yeah. I know. Why do you guys look so shocked?" I ask her slightly confused.

"Because it is a rarity." Lee replies casually.

"So, I am not the only one who thinks that." Diane mutters softly.

"Girl, Kris sports a blank face all the time. Of course, you're not the only one who noticed that." Lee tells Diane.

"You know now that you tell me, I realize why it felt weird sometimes seeing Kris' expressionless face."

"Exactly. But I can still read her most of the times." Lee says.

"Really?" Diane asks in genuine curiosity.

I am standing near them and witnessing whatever it is happening. This is weird. I think. At least according to the school and it's rules.

"Yeah, I will teach you what I have learned some time." Lee tells Diane.

"That would be awesome, thanks Charlie." Diane says and then places her arm on Lee's arm. I look at the interaction happening in front of me and then I look around to see who all are witnessing it. Because it is weird and even though I want to know if other people thought so as well. At the same time I also don't want people to see as this will inevitably be the cause of some fantastic stories or rumors whatever they call those.

Suddenly Alice comes over towards us. "Diane, you don't have to go the other way to drop them off, I can take them."

"It's okay..."

"Alice." Alice mumbles.

"Right. It's okay Alice. It's not a problem. Plus, this gives me time to talk to Kris and get to know Charlie better." I look at Diane gaping same as Lee. Alice just looks baffled and is blinking rapidly.

We then get in the car and as soon as Diane starts the car Lee asks what I was thinking. "You want to get to know me really? Why?"

"Well, you are Kris' best friend, I presume. So, I want to know you. And you seem like a cool girl yourself. All the more reasons it would be good to know each other, don't you think?" Diane replies genuinely no weirdness in her voice. She genuinely wants to get to know Lee. Whoa! Did not see this coming.

"I-I- Y-yes." Lee stutters then clears her throat. "Yes absolutely."

"Good." Diane says and smiles at Lee through the mirror.

She starts her radio, and we are listening to advertisement. Diane groans then connects her phone. It then bursts latest pop songs. Soon Lee starts saying the words so do we. Diane takes my hand and holds it while driving. I am sitting on the passenger side while Lee is at the back. Not sure if it was a conscious decision or an unconscious one. But I like it. We are almost at my house, but I could see Diane is not ready to let me go. So, I invite her in. She grins when I do. We stop in front of my house and see there are no cars there. I sometimes wonder where Alex goes after school. Because I know for sure her school ends earlier. And James must be in day care. I enter the house and they both follow me.

"I want to see how it looks now." Diane announces.

"What?" I ask not thinking what she could mean.

"Your room of course."

"Oh."

"Wait you've seen her room before?" Lee asks Diane.

"Yeah. Amy might have set me up to help Kris paint her room one Sunday. It was mostly done just extra coats left to do."

"Yeah. We did that on Saturday. Amy, Kris and I. Alex and Tim helped too."