9

Aria's scream woke up Gally, Newt, and Minho as they all ran to her room, looking at the scene in front of them.

"What happened?" Newt sleepily asked, walking over to where Aria stood.

"I was sleeping and it looks like someone tried to get in my room and then got spooked and dropped the knife." Aria explained.

"Well, it was probably the greenie then? Why is he in your room then?" Gally was quick to accuse as Thomas rolled his eyes.

"No, no. He- he was here because he helped me in when I was drunk..." Aria said as the three guys looked at Thomas.

"She could barely stand. I was helping her up and she asked me to stay. I slept in the chair." Thomas informed them.

"Sort of suspicious you are in here by yourselves-" Gally began before Newt cut him off.

"Gally that's enough. You, Minho, and Thomas can go back to bed. Aria, you come with me until we can talk to Alby tomorrow." Newt instructed, grabbing Aria's wrist and yanking her off the bed as the other guys trailed out. Without a word, Newt led him and Aria to his room, shutting and locking the door behind him, letting Aria's wrist go.

Silently, he went and laid in his bed, giving her enough space to climb in after him. She slowly walked over to the bed and hesitantly sat down on the edge, turning to Newt.

"Are you okay? You seem upset.." Aria trailed off.

"I'm fine."

"Newt..."

"I just worry about you, c'mhere." Newt said, wrapping his arm around her waist and yanking her towards him as she let out a small laugh, letting herself fall into him.

"I worry about you too." She whispered once she got adjusted.

"I'll be fine love, always am. You, however, have a bigger target on yourself." He tried to defend.

"Target?" She asked, moving her head so she could look at his face.

"You're the only girl, and you're small." He said like it was basic knowledge.

"So? I'm not that small. You're only what, 6 foot?" She asked as he shrugged.

"Guess so. You, however, are only what, 5'2? Shortie." Newt teased as she used her fingers to taser his side in retort. He let out a loud laugh as he jolted from the sensation.

"I could still take you, ya know. Even if I am shorter than you." Aria teased as he giggled.

"Yeah, could ya?" Newt laughed, using his one arm to pull her on top of his body so they were laying chest to chest as he held her there, trapped. She let out another giggle as she tried to free herself from his arms before knowing he wouldn't let go.

"Fine, you trapped me." She sighed, rested her chin on one of her hands so she could look down at his face.

"Trapped you? I wouldn't say that, I'm just... holding you." He playfully argued.

"So just because I'm short, that means I'm a target?" She asked again.

"No, it's also because you're hot." He bluntly said causing them both to giggle. "Have you never noticed the other gladers, the ones you aren't close with, are jealous over the guys you are close with?"

"So, you?" She teased with a giggle.

"Hey, you're not only close to me. You're close with Minho, Fry, Ben, and even Gally." He argued.

"But I'm closest to you. You're my best friend."

"You're mine too. And they are jealous of me. If only you heard the arguments and stares I get because we are always together. Some people are always hoping to take my place." Newt sighed.

"Well, then they have a weird way of showing it. Maybe they should just be more desirable to be around. I mean it Newt, you're my best friend. Always us." She spoke.

"Always us." Newt quietly said before they went into a comfortable silence.

"Promise you'll always hold me?" Aria finally sighed out, resting her head against his chest, her letting him hold her close.

"I promise."

//

The next day Newt slipped out of the room before Aria woke up, eager to tell Alby what had happened that night so he could set up a council meeting for the afternoon, which he did. That's where everyone currently was.

Aria sat beside Thomas and Minho as Alby started the meeting.

"Why are we here? I have so much work to do this afternoon!" One of the gladers complained as Gally sent him a glare.

"Shut up!" Gally spat.

"We are here because one of our own was almost attacked. Someone tried to break into Aria's room last night with a knife and got stopped when they saw Thomas there. You know our rules, never harm another glader. So, did anyone see anything they would like to report?" Alby asked as everyone started looking around at one another.

"Why would someone go after Aria?"Jeff asked out.

"Yeah, everyone loves her!" Clint agreed.

"That's why we are here, to try and find out why." Alby calmly spoke.

"Which of you slinthead's did this? Just because she may seem like an easy target doesn't mean she is." Gally yelled out.

"Why does everyone keep saying I'm an easy target?" She whispered to herself, causing Minho to playfully roll his eyes at her.

"Gally that's enough, sit down." Alby instructed.

"Does anyone have anything they would like to tell me? Just because she is the only girl does not mean we will make this easy. You guys are men! Men protect women! Not try to attack them!" Alby yelled out.

"It was probably Hotch, he doesn't like her, remember?" Gally said, quickly standing up again.

"It wasn't me!" Hotch quickly denied standing up. "Just because she's an annoying bitch doesn't mean I would want to kill her!"

"Shut your mouth Hotch." Newt quickly defended, now also standing.

"Newt, Gally, stand down. Theo, Ben, go put Hotch in the slammer for the disrespect he continues to show." Alby said as Theo was all too happy to grab Hotch by the back of the night, pushing him out of the room, not liking Hotch from the very beginning.

"Council dismissed, for now." Alby said before leaving as well. Everyone started to leave until it was just Thomas, Minho, Aria, and Newt.

"So that went nowhere." Minho sighed.

"I think it was Hotch, he's the only one that makes sense." Newt nodded.

"Until we have proof, just be careful Aria." Thomas said as she nodded.

"We will just have to keep an extra eye on her then." Newt said. "You'll sleep in my room until he gets caught."

"You can sleep in my room if you want Thomas. I'm not using it anyway." Aria offered as he gave her a nod. "Thank you."