8

Another month has gone by and it was time for a new greenie, Aria's favorite day of the month. All the gladers all stood around the box as it almost reached the top.

"I can hop down to greet the new green bean." Aria offered as Alby nodded.

"That's fine."

"That's not fair! It's my turn!" Gally whined like a child as Alby let out a sigh.

"Fine, Gally can do it this time." Alby spoke, already sick of his whining as Aria stuck her tongue out childishly at Gally in return as Newt let out a chuckle from beside her. The dynamic between Aria and Newt had been a tad awkward ever since their kiss. They never spoke about it and the days after their kiss, was as awkward as ever as they didn't know how to act around each other. Two months later, they were back to normal but it didn't help the wild thoughts the two periodically had about one another.

The box finally reached the top and Alby and Gally were able to open the doors as everyone, except Aria, let out laughs at the frightened boy in the box. This was like second nature to them now.

"Alright then Gally, go get him." Newt said, letting Gally jump down into the new greenie's face.

"Day one greenie, rise and shine." Gally spoke in his smug tone before offering him a hand to help him up. Once he was able to help the new greenie up, he stumbled over his own feet before falling to the ground.

Aria was stunned, this was the brunette from her memory. She knew him. She recognized him from somewhere but she couldn't put her nose on it. She watched as Frypan started to tease him.

"I could use some help in the kitchen."

"Shut up Fry, give him some space, would ya?" Aria said as everyone around her was still giggling. They all watched as the newbie got up off the ground and started running away from the group as everyone started to holler in laughter.

"Hey! We got a runner!" Zart laughed out.

"Look at him go!" Hotch yelled out.

Everyone watched as he continued to run before face planting into the ground, causing the rest of the gladers to burst out laughing.

"Watch it there greenie!" Someone called out.

"This is too much." Aria huffed out, walking away from the group and towards the homestead as she heard Alby instructing them to bring the greenie to the slammer until he calms down.

//

Later on, Aria sat beside Newt watching as Alby and Gally were both making their way over.

"What's up with you?" Newt asked, seeing how her mood has shifted since his arrival.

"Nothing, nothing. I'll tell you later." Aria dismissed as the two got close.

"Alby, what a lively greenie, huh?" Newt asked as everyone nodded in agreeance.

"He is. I'll handle this one and give him the tour. I made you babysit her and she's obviously a handful so I'll take one for the team with this greenie." Alby teased, causing Aria to send him a glare as the boys laughed at her expense.

"Shut up Alby, he loved babysitting me." Aria argued.

"What do you mean loved? He still babysits you." Gally teased as she reached over and lightly shoved him in protest.

"You guys are bullies." Aria huffed as she walked away, towards her favorite rock to lean against and soak up sun rays.

//

Newt and Aria were now sitting together on one of the hammocks as they watched Alby give the greenie the tour. Aria could see the look of frustration the greenie had, I'm sure not understanding where he was or Alby being Alby and avoiding his questions.