15: I Run Away

Ceres (3rd-person POV)

As anyone might guess, Ceres ran for his life. He knew what he was signing up for the second he pulled out his pistol, but it was a necessary move. Pollux had been in his way for too long. And he did what he needed to even have a chance to escape.

Now he just needed to lose everyone on his tail and find a place to hide. And plan.

Zaniah appeared first at the end of the hall. By the time he made it to lower engine, she had already crossed security and reactor. Not far behind her, Elara followed, one hand on the wall and the other using her cane to catch obstacles before they caught her.

Then, Genesis. Barreling down the hall, quickly passing Elara and catching up to Zaniah. Soon Elara stopped, turned around, and went the other way. Probably to trap him.

Which meant he needed another solution. He could use some help right about now, but it seemed his on-board accomplice still insisted on blending in.

She was doing fairly well right now. It only infuriated him that she was proving her innocence at his expense.

However, he supposed, if their situations were reversed, he would have done the same. It was the Conclave way, after all.

Genesis had now passed Zaniah, her flailing arms reaching within five feet of his back. As he bolted across storage, he brought his wrist communicator to his mouth.

If he didn't time this perfectly, he was toast.

"Now," he said into the receiver.

He leapt across the doorway just as it hissed shut, and rolled back to a stand. Someone—Genesis, probably—banged on the door for only a few seconds before running off.

They had bought him time, but not much.