Happy Birthday, Silly

Author's Note: I appreciate you all who continue on this journey with Shortaki and I :)

Disclaimer: I do not own Hey Arnold, Doi!

________________________________________________________

Gerald stood in front Arnold's stoop waiting for his best friend. Arnold walked out the front door letting an array of animals out before him. He closed the door after the butterfly flew out and ran down the stairs. Once he stepped off the final step he met his best friend with their signature hand shake.

"Thanks for waiting for me Gerald," Arnold said

"No problem, man" Gerald laughed.

"What's so funny?" Arnold asked

"Why did we have to meet 15 minutes before our usual time?" Gerald raised a brow. "Does this have anything to do with Helga G. Pataki's Birthday?"

"Well, her birthday is coming up." Arnold smiled widely. "I want to do something really special for her."

"Have you asked her out?" Gerald asked.

"Ask her out?" Arnold raised a brow. "Do you ask your girlfriend out for her birthday?"

"I know you're new to this whole dating thing, brother." Gerald chuckled, "but your girl is 14 going on 15."

"Okay. So?" Arnold asked, genuinely curious.

"So, what if her parents have something planned for her?"

"Gerald, Big Bob Pataki and Miriam Pataki have plans for Helga G. Pataki?" Arnold said slowly in disbelief.

"Okay, you got a point" he thought some more, "But, what if her friends have something planned?"

"Her friend." Arnold corrected knowing Helga didn't like many people besides Phoebe. "Has Phoebe said anything?" He added.

"Okay. Fair enough." He waved his hand for Arnold to start walking their unusual route to meet their girlfriends before school. "Maybe you don't have anything to worry about." He smirked, "So what do you have planned for her Birthday?"

Arnold's eyes widened with excitement as he told his friends all the details of his plan. He had been planning his surprise since Valentine's Day and was so happy to finally see it through. Gerald listened happily to his friend as they took their time strolling down the block and around the corner. He nodded at the right moments and added the occasional Mmm Mm Mmm. Arnold spoke with so much pride. He finally figured out a way to get around Helga's no gift policy.

"Okay, so you're not going to ask her out. But are you going to at least tell her your plans?"

"Not yet. I really want to surprise her, Gerald." Arnold said cheerfully

"How are you going to keep it a secret?" Gerald said knowing his friend wasn't the best at keeping them.

"What do you mean?" Arnold said, a little offended.

"You're not that good at keeping secrets, Arnold."

"I didn't tell Principal Wartz about Sid, Harold, and Stinky mooning him." Arnold retorted

"Yeah, that was solid." He nodded, "stupid but solid," he added.

"Your point?" Arnold shook his head.

"How are you going to keep a secret from Helga G. Pataki?" He smiled, "isn't she your weakness or something?" He teased

Arnold turned a bright red,"I'll be fine as long as I remember that it's not forever just for now"