Chapter Eleven: Carriage Confessions

Wendy soon realized that though she had hoped that their sudden first name basis at breakfast would mean that their ride to the Duke's estate would be filled with friendly conversation, she was entirely wrong. The trip thus far was filled with naught but silence and the sounds around, the rustling of the carriage swaying slightly form side to side, the rough sound of the wheels turning against the hard packed dirt road, and the lively sounds of nature outside. There had been, to credit him, several times when the Duke had asked her if she was comfortable or required anything, and they had stopped awhile back to eat luncheon and allow the coachmen a break and to eat as well.

She had felt the need for words bubbling up in her throat so many times, but failed to find the suitable words to say. She had turned to comment on the lovely weather but the second her eyes found his she wanted to say nothing except how sorry she was that he was stuck in this marriage with her. She couldn't even begin to count the number of times that she had scolded herself for that night, how foolish she had been, she should have just waited for her sisters to return to the room. Her eyes flashed across the cab to him again and she took in his features freely as he was caught up in reading from some kind of ledger.

She wondered what he must think of her. She wondered if he thought her the kind of woman who had schemed her way into marriage, though he was so kind that he was gentle and thoughtful towards her all the same. Bianca's insults floated through her mind and her cheeks flamed as she snapped her eyes back to the window as she watched the world pass in a blur. Entrapment, she had accused her purposefully in front of the Duke of planning out the scene that unfolded that dreaded night of the ball. He seemed far from foolish, he must know that things like that happened more often than was spoken of, and him not knowing her true character she knew that he might think that was an option. She sighed to herself forlornly, she had managed to ruin the life of the kindest man she had ever come across in her sad life.

Her life thus far had seen many men of the Capital and she knew the Duke was a rarity. Her father came home often reeking of spirits and she was too old to not have heard the rumors of all the mistresses he kept and the gambling that took place, gambling that it would seem, had left her father, and therefore all of them, penniless. As the thought struck her, she wondered how he was concealing it from the society of the Capital, she knew she was supposed to have 2,000 pounds for her dowry, what would the Duke do when it wasn't delivered to him? Her eyes flashed towards him again and she sat up straighter with a start when she found his eyes already on her.

Rhys tried to contain the smirk that wanted to grace his lips at the surprise flashing across his young wife's, pretty face, she must have thought she was being quiet while she sighed and stirred herself into whatever worries were causing her cheeks to dimple with her frown. "Might I inquire as to your thoughts?" Rhys asked and fought to not laugh as her face flushed with heat "I only ask that I might be able to help put your mind at ease."

Her mouth opened and closed several times before she stammered out her sentence "I think you are a wise man, your Grace." Her cheeks instantly grew hotter, he might think her simple at this point and she closed her eyes as she tried to center herself to continue "I think you're a wise and informed man already though I've known you for so little a time."

"That's comforting to know" Rhys smiled at her and the mirth in his eyes made her heart leap, he was so handsome, surely the handsomest man she had ever met, she would even dare to say he far surpassed all the other men of high society in the Capital.

"Surely you know that my father is unable to pay whatever dowry might have been promised to you." She rushed out and her heart dropped into the pit of her stomach when the light smile left his lips. "I only say this, Your Grace' She rushed to explain 'Because I would so hate to see you cheated and I am unsure you are aware of the state that my family is in, I find it more likely that my father would go to the debtors prison than to pay my dowry." while her voice had started off strong it had died to a mere whisper at the end, the Duke's face becoming very serious the more she rambled on.

Rhys had to grit his teeth against the anger that consumed him, what kind of man would ruin his family in such a way that his eldest daughter felt the need to warn her new husband off, not a real man at all. It was silent for awhile until Rhys cleared his throat and sat up straighter "If you are worried about money, or maybe the lifestyle you will have at my estate, I assure you that all will be provided for and then some." He felt sad that Wendy seemed to know the state her father was in, that he was such a man to squander his money and leave his family to nothing, he wanted to assure her that it would not be that way with him, that he would provide for her and in the future whatever children they might have.

Wendy felt her eyes flash with heat, so he did think her nothing but a gold-digger?! He thought she was only worried about his money? He thought Bianca was right in her accusation for entrapment. Then why had he agreed to marry her anyway? She felt the frustration raise up in her as she was confused by the man in front of her. How could he think these things of her and yet still be so kind? was it all some kind of game to him? Perhaps he had just married her to keep the rumors at bay, to keep his name clear of all scandal as it had been until he met her.

"You misunderstand me, Your Grace" her mouth felt dry and a foul taste took it over as she tried to mutter out words to him, how lowly he must think of her made her feel sick, for some strange reason that she did not want to find the answer to, she had wanted him to have a good opinion of her in sense and character to make up for what she knew she lacked in beauty. "I thought only for your sake and not mine, I see now my worry was misplaced.' she could only smile numbly at him as she carried on 'Let us put the subject to rest then as I see now you are well informed and do not need my help in the matters of finances." She knew she was being a bit dramatic in the hurt that she felt, what had she expected? For him to be madly in love with a woman he had been forced to marry? For him to already know her mind and soul? She was dreaming of the impossible. After a lifetime of hurt, betrayal, and pain, just a day in his company had her hope for things she knew were far beyond her reach.

She stared out the window as the silence filled the carriage cab once more. She knew deep down that she had wanted his impression of her to be a good one, because she already thought so highly of him. She worried at her lower lip as fear seized her, her heart was very much in danger here and she wasn't sure how to save it.

 She worried at her lower lip as fear seized her, her heart was very much in danger here and she wasn't sure how to save it