27| Chapter twenty seven

Start from the beginning

"Listen, you have to believe me when I say-" The door happening interrupted his sentence. I pulled my eyes away from him and looked behind me to see Grace and another girl coming out of the room, both of them with a coy smile on his face.

My mouth dropped open and I gasped in horror. "Did you- Did you three- in that room, alone?" I could barely complete my sentence as I looked amongst the three of them.

Zeke had a scared look on his face while Grace and her accomplise had their hands folded together, smiling life they had achieved something great.

"No, God, no!" Zeke screamed behind me and began to pace down the corridor as if he couldn't belief what was happening. "You're misinterpreting things Ruth. Grace, her friend and I were just talking."

I raised a brow at his stupid explanation. "Talking? The three of you in a room, alone, talking?"

"Why do you find that hard to believe Ruth?" Grace scoffed, narrowing her slinted eyes at me. "Maybe if you weren't so insecure, you'd believe him and stop making useless assumptions."

I was about to talk when I saw the pink lipstick stain on his neck. I gripped his neck in anger and turned to show Grace. "If he was indeed talking like you put it, then why does he have a lipstick stain on his neck? And please don't give me the excuse that's it's mine because I don't even use lipsticks!"

I pushed Zeke's neck and he howled in pain. "You know what? I'll just leave you alone for now, I'll talk to you when I'm with a clear head."

"But- but, you can't just assume things-" Zeke grabbed my left arm as I was about to walk away and I snapped my gaze to him, hitting him hard on his head with my purse.

"What's there not to assume?" I screamed at him, my voice echoing throughout the endless corridor. Thank God we're not in the midst of the crowd or this would be less peaceful. "Don't you get it? Leave me the hell alone!"

I snatched my arm away from him and walked away from the three idiots, descending down the stairs with a flash of speed I never knew I possessed.

I saw Micheal and Zion still talking at the bar where I left them. I walked up to Micheal and tapped him on his shoulder, making him turn to face me.

"Did you bring your car?"

He looked at my eyes and probably saw them swollen before he jumped on his feet. "My driver brought me, I can call him. What's wrong?"

Zion stood up too sensing that something was wrong before they both jumped on their feet, Zoe with a confused look on he face. "Did something happen Ruth? Where's Ezekiel?"

"Can you just forget about Ezekiel? I just want to go home! Grant me that, will ya?"

Micheal nodded and pulled out his phone to call his driver. I bit my lip to hold back the tears as I turned on my heal and began to make my way outside, the three of them following after me.

How is it that anytime I go to a party, something bad always happens?

Ten minutes later, Zeke's driver pulled up and I quickly jumped into the backseat, leaning my head against the window.

The silence in the car was suffocating, but sadly, that was only what I needed at this moment.

I just want to be invisible, just- plain bland.

-

"Is Mom and Dad home?"

That was the first sentence that came out of Zion's mouth immediately Micheal's driver pulled up to our driveway.

God, I hope not. But I knew somewhere deep in my heart that my prayers won't be granted this time by God.

For one, I can clearly see their range Rover packed in the driveway and the lights shining from the inside of the house.

We put them off before we left the house this evening.

I climbed out of the car, Zion and Zoe also following after me before I turned to Micheal. "Thank you for bringing us home Mike, I really appreciate it."

He smiled at the nickname.

He reached out and pulled me into a hug I knew I needed. I breath in his scent and wrapped my arms around him. "You can always talk to me you know, you're still my friend."

I nodded and waved at him before walking up the driveway to the door.

I put my hands on the doorknob and pushed it open. God, why can't I suddenly breath?

"Where are you coming from?" Mum's voice reached my ears immediately I entered the house. I inhaled deeply and turned to face both of them sitting in the couch with their eyes fisted on us.

My palms became clammy as I tried to steady my lungs.

Mum's eyes ran down my figure, from my little makeup to the slightly revealing outfit I had on. She scanned the three of us from head to toe again before shouting, "Are you dead? I asked you where you're coming from!"

"Calm down Rachel, you'll wake up our neighbours." My dad pulled her back into him and began to rub her back.

Mum shrugged his hands off her as she looked at us with anger on her face. "Don't tell me to calm down! You better tell me where the three of you went to before I unleash my temper on you."

I nodded and cast my gaze down to avoid looking into her horrific eyes. "We went to a friend's birthday party?"

"Birthday party, by this time? You better tell me the truth or so help me God, the three of you will sleep outside this night. Don't try me, you know I can do that!"

I shrieked and began to cry. First Zeke, now this ugly thing happening all in one night.

"Don't give me those crocodile tears, I hate seeing them!" She screamed at me. I flinched and moved behind Zion and Zoe who remained quiet like mom was speaking another language. "By the way, who was that boy I saw you hugging outside?"

"That was Micheal mom."

"Micheal? Your best friend from the US?" She asked in disbelief. "Are you really trying to annoy me this night or what? I said, who was that boy I just saw you with?"

"It was Micheal, I swear!" I screamed back at her.

I really don't know if I have a death wish, but I'm tired psychological and emotionally.

I just need to rest.

"Is it me you're screaming at? You this spoilt little-" Her hands raised up in the air and I thought she would slap me until dad caught her hands.

"We can't do this this night Rachel." He turned to us, eyes blazing with disappointment. "The three of you better come up with a better explanation to this nonsense tomorrow or I'll show you what I'm capable of."

Show you what I'm capable of? I'm so dead.

Dad barely talks, but when he does, he makes sure to keep by every word he says.

"Stupid kids!" Mom screamed and marched up the stairs, dad behind her.

I cleared my throat and turned to Zoe and Zion. "I'm going to sleep, turn off the lights."

"Are you okay?" They asked, looking at me in worry.

"I will be." I responded, chocking back my tears as I turned to walk upstairs.

I was right, everything did go wrong.