34| Chapter thirty four

Our exams came earlier than I thought.

Wednesday decided to welcome me with an exam, a mathematics exam to be more exact.

As if that wasn't enough, mother nature decided to visit me too this morning when I was about preparing for school. Now, I'm not only academically drained, I'm mentally and physically tired too.

It's a miracle I still have my sanity with me. At least, this would be the last exam I'd write.

I sure hope the vacation thingy we had planned a few months ago is still on, I could use some rest.

"Pens up, papers down and calculators flat on your table. Please pass your papers to the person at your front, all papers should get to the first person on each row. At the count of ten, I want that process done and everyone out of this hall." The WAEC invigilator instructed, pushing his tiny framed glasses to the bridge of his nose.

I sincerely don't understand why the board of directors for this exam thought it'd be such a great idea to use old people as invigilators, they could barely see up their future.

Nevertheless, I sighed and dropped my mathematical set on my table. I don't hate maths, but I simply don't like it either. We cooperate and understand each other though, in the sense that I could easily get a B plus or a C. I answered eight questions out of the ten I was supposed to do, that should give me a slightly impressive score — if all questions are correct that is.

"Leave the hall responsibly, no scrapping of chairs or dragging of feet." After all papers had been nearly packed in the front row, stood up with my basic school materials and walked to the front of the class to get my bag.

Students decided to be disrespectful and started to drag their feet and shout, which annoyed the invigilator so bad that he had to scream at us to get out. I quickly grabbed my things and walked out of the hall, with Onome and Caroline magically by my side.

I didn't even notice we were walking out together, I must have zoned out at some point.

"How was the exam?" I asked them as we walked down the hall to God knows where. Since WAEC only permitted one paper a day, we were allowed to do whatever we wanted after our exams . . . We could either decide to go home or roam the school like lost sheepheads.

Onome hissed, a frown on her round face. "May God punish those people that set those questions for me. That stupid man didn't even allow me to finish, I only did six questions out of ten. To sum it all up, I don't even know if all the questions I attempted would be correct."

I raised a brow at her. It's always the same story after every exam— be it external and internal. She complained about the same thing for almost every paper in NECO, and for every school exams. Still, she still managed to be among the top ten in the school after getting distinctions in almost every paper.

She came fifth in the whole school despite her complaints. I came third, Zeke came fourth, and Micheal came sixth despite being a new student. Caroline had a minor issue and was backslided to seventh place. Two random students in SSS three A got the top two highest positions in the school.

It must be a generational curse for her to always complain or something.

"You always say this same thing after every exam, yet you still manage to top even Dominic. Please, this is a no whining zone, you're always trying to scam us." Caroline responded with a roll of her small eye and I laughed.

"Whatever." Onome muttered while trying to hide a smile, she knew we were right. "Anyway, since we don't have anything to do until two PM, we should go and revise for our next paper on Friday."