23| Chapter twenty three

Start from the beginning

I gave a short laugh, gesturing towards him with my hands. "Thank you, you too."

He nodded, his face now looking extremely serious. My heart thumbed at his expression. "We need to talk."

"What about?" I asked him, crossing my hands against my chest.

"About why you left without even giving me a solid explanation. I have so many questions, so many things to say, and I know you do too. We should sit down and talk when you have the time."

I gave a short sigh, uncrossing my hands away from my chest, before resting my back against the door to the entrance of the classroom. "What makes you think I want to talk?"

He scoffed, looking at me in disbelief. "You must be kidding me Ruth, because you can't be serious. Don't you think that I, your best friend, well until you left, deserve an explanation as to why you left without even explaning why?"

"Why are you so convinced I left because of something serious? I told you it was my parents decision to relocate to Nigeria, isn't that self explanatory enough?" I rolled my eyes.

He sighed, rubbing his hands against his forehead. "Don't you get it? Not when I know you're lying! Your parents didn't decide to leave, you did yourself and you know it Ruth!"

"So what? Are you trying to say I don't know what I'm saying? I don't need to explain anything to you Micheal." I was livid, trying not to run my hands through my matted sleek bun on top of my bun.

It's times like this that I admire boys, atleast they're free to do whatever they want with their hair. Unlike girls, you have to be careful or you'll end up going to your hairdresser every week.

"Like hell you do because I'm your friend!" Micheal shouted angrily, drawing the attention of some of the students towards us.

"Was." I corrected him.

"You're being ridiculous right now." He sighed, coming closer to me to hold my hands in his. "Just tell me where we can meet so we can talk."

I didn't make a move to remove my hands, and he didn't try to drop them either. We just kept staring into each other's eyes like old lovers in the middle of the hallway.

I heard someone clear their throat beside me.

I blinked and quickly removed my hands from Mike's own. I cleared it throat and turned to face Zeke who was looking at us with squinted eyes.

"I'm sorry, am I interrupting something?" He asked, looking directly at Micheal.

"No, of course not." I scratched behind my ear a little, wincing as Micheal and Zeke stared each other down as if they wanted to know who could fight better.

I stepped between them. "Zeke, meet Micheal, my long time best friend from the states." Then I gestures towards Micheal. "Micheal, this is Ezekiel, my boyfriend?"

Micheal looked shocked as he turned his body away from Zeke to face mine. "Boyfriend?" He spluttered.

Zeke was the one to answer. "That's what she said bro, have any problem with that?"

"I really don't like you Ezekiah." Micheal told Zeke.

"It's Ezekiel, and the feeling is mutual."