22| Chapter twenty two

Comenzar desde el principio

"Of course mum." I mumbled into her soaked t-shirt. I can't believe I'm crying, a big boy like me crying on his mum's shoulders.

"Your sister will be waiting for you at the airport. I already assigned a driver that will take you to school, to and fro every day. Call me if you need anything okay? I promise I won't hesitate to credit your account. And please, be a good boy that you are and concentrate on your studies."

"You already told me all of this mum." I chuckled.

"I guess, but I'm just going to miss you, even though you get on my last nerve sometimes."

I laughed. "Me too mum, me too."

"Are you done with all your emotions flying everywhere? Because we have a place to be and we're already running late as it is." My dad badged into the sitting room, disrupting our private moment.

I nodded, squeezing mum's hands a little for reassurance. "Of course dad, let's go now."

After loading all my bags and boxes into a car, we began to drive towards the airport. We decided to use two cars, because God knows only one car wouldn't be able to accommodate all of us, not when all of my ancestors are present.

I sighed and placed my head on the window. After fifteen minutes of overspending and bypassing of vehicles, we pulled up to the airport, rushing about to get my things.

I heard an intercom go off throughout the airport. "Late call for flight B28, traveling from America to Nigeria, kindly find your way to the plane please."

I turned to face my family, most of them close to tears as if I'm traveling on a suicide mission.

After receiving hugs, kisses, threats, and kind words from everyone, I was finally ready to board my plane.

My dad dabbed me up and said, "You'll always be my boy."

Mum kissed me all over my face and refused to let me go until dad pulled her away. "Remember what we talked about. And always call, okay?" Her voice cracked as if she wanted to cry and it wasn't too long before she started to soak my dad's shirt with tears.

I nodded and passed all of them one last smile before walking through the airstrip to find my plane.

To find answers.

From Her.

-

I watched the bald head principal push his thin glasses up his eyes, squinting slighting as if he could see the kingdom of heaven on my face. He looked me up and down, from my haircut to my Jordan air Forces as if trying to decipher something.

His eyes moved to my sister beside me and he smiled widely. Not one of those creepy old smiles, but those cool welcoming smiles, as if he knew something we didn't.

My sister cleared her throat to bring his attention back to us. His eyes snapped to her. "Can he be shown to his class now sir?"

"Oh yes!" He exclaimed. "I talked to your mother over the phone and we agreed he'd resume tomorrow. Unless you've changed your mind?"

My sister looked at me as if asking for permission. "Can I start today sir?"

He nodded. "You can, but you have to wear the school uniform which we'll give you now. And your books, are they with you?"

"I didn't bring them with me, mum said I'd have to get new notebooks and textbooks."

He clasped his fingers together. "I see. Although, you only need some essential textbooks, not all of them. Follow me so I can lead you to where you'll get your uniforms and your notebooks, then I'll show you to your classroom."

"Great!" My sister stood up from her seat. "Is it possible if I leave now sir? I have to get to work."

"Of course you're free to go, I believe you've settled all the bills ma." My sister nodded, tapped me on my arm, then walked out.

"Follow me." The principal beckoned to me and I followed him.

We walked past about three blocks before we finally got to the admins office where I was given two pairs of uniform, a packet of black and white socks each, and their signature school badge and jacket.

Well, I guess coming here wasn't a bad idea after all. I mean, the school is top notch.

"Now follow me to your classroom." He murmured after I got dressed into the school uniform and a pair of white socks on my feet. I grabbed my schoolbag, now full with notebooks and some textbooks as we made our way out of the block.

He wouldn't stop talking.

Honestly, I was already getting tired of hearing him talk about the history of the school from before Nigeria's independence and the stupid rules and regulations I have to follow, raging from always knotting your tie to your throat and how we're not allowed to leave the classrooms before break.

By the time we reached the classroom, I was already sweating like a mad man.

Damn, this school is huge.

Can you even believe there's a pool and a gym in this school?

"Everyone, quiet!" The principal shouted.

The first thing that greeted me was the rowdiness of the class. Most of the students were either eating, gisting or sleeping, even at 9am on Monday morning.

My eyes scanned the classroom as I ignored the principal beside me who was busy going on and on about God knows what. Some of the students looked at me as if silently asking 'who be this one?'.

I rolled my eyes and drifted my eyes to the back of the classroom where people sat on the expensive looking tables and chairs, just busy lounging around.

Then my eyes met Hers. The main reason I got a transfer, the main reason I decided to abandon my life in America.

The girl whom I fell for two years ago, and had to move away because of personal reasons, which until date still remains strange to me.

Ruth.