Cycle of Devastation

Start from the beginning

"I have been merciful to you and your people so far. Do not make the lofty assumption that I have forgiven any of you for what you have done to my people. Do not be bold, also, and assume that I do not have a great deal of pent up rage to let loose." Molniya grabbed him by the throat and set him on his feet. "Lets go, shall we? I believe you have a treaty to give your assistance in signing?"

"As well as some apologies to Silár for your failures." Lysander couldn't help but grin as he spoke the last sentence. Cosmo found it uncharacteristic for him to break his typically reserved composure, but couldn't help smiling at the remark.

* * *

Once Istorik began to overcome his own shame and support the treaty between the three tribes, negotiation became easier than Cosmo had expected. Silár himself had sent correspondence to the other two leaders of the Boiling Pot only a day after hearing what the four had discovered in Razorinye. From what Cosmo had heard, Queen Rasseyat had managed to quell the anger most of her tribe harbored towards their kin. This compliance only increased upon hearing what had been found at Razorinye. Dreyniv was ecstatic that everyone was finally on the same page and had designated a location in the large crag fields outside of Folcanrog's Domain for each tribe to convene at.

After two days of recalling and organizing troops and five days spent communicating between the orcs, ogres, and lizardfolk, the entire tribe of Kran stood outside of the city gates. Each citizen held as much as their arms and backs could carry, lugging along food, water, swords, spears, axes, bows, clothing, and hundreds of ivory colored tents. Even Cosmo, Lysander, Elias, and Molniya did their part, each hefting a large bag of food and waterskins as well as a deconstructed tent strapped around their shoulders.

Since the treaty had been decided on, Molniya's anger for the other tribes seemed to decrease greatly. She still did not like Istorik, however, which she was not afraid to display publicly. Luckily enough, she had not succeeded in killing him yet, even when Silár had made the decision not to remove him from his position.

"Two things I will not forgive the Koysha or Zelenn for." She had told him one night in the medical lodging. Cosmo and her had made a habit of talking while Lysander slept and Elias studied with Hiner. He not only found it relaxing to converse with her, but interesting to learn more about Molniya. Ever since he had met her she had always raised more questions than answers. "I will not forgive the Koysha for Moldaya, that is a fact. I may make alliances with them, but it will be impossible for me to forget my late brother, nor forgive the soldiers that took his life. I believe you already know which orc I refuse to forgive." She chuckled and Cosmo smiled when he saw her slightly sharp teeth past her scaly lips.

Now she stood to the right of him, a grim expression on her face. Lysander stood to the left, constantly resituating the enormous load of gear on his back, clearly unable to hold it very well. Elias and Hiner stood behind Cosmo, rambling on about technique and incantations. The two strong boys had no trouble carrying more than the average citizen, and seemed completely absorbed in one another's conversation. Elias had taken quickly to healing magic over the eight days they had spent in Kran and now understood its most basic level to the fullest extent. Lately, Hiner had been teaching him more intricate and advanced spells, to which both of the boys seemed to be enthused about.

"Is everything alright?" Cosmo asked hesitantly, turning towards Molniya with his head cocked. She blinked as though something was in her eye and looked at him.

"Hm?" She turned towards him and he could tell her mind had been elsewhere. "Oh, I'm... okay, I suppose."

"You can tell me if something is wrong." Cosmo smiled at her, reassuringly. However, a part of him was unsure if he wanted to know in the first place. If something is scaring her of all people, it must be big. He thought to himself. "We're a team." He continued, gesturing to Lysander and then to Elias. "You can trust me."