Ch.5 I Did Nothing to Stop Him

Start from the beginning

"Yeah...is there anything else?" There was a awkward silence in between them since it was going so smoothly.

"I just wanted to tell you before you hear it for someone else. I love him," Suddenly he could hear his voice echo through her head. I love you.

"I don't want there to be bad feeling between us and if you want, maybe you two can meet one day. Not now! I want to get everything-," She slammed her fist on the kitchen counter stopping him in the middle of his speech. He gave her a second to recollect herself. Temari moved the hair back took a deep breathe. Styling a smile she turned around.

"Sorry, but I think I'm gonna need more time than I thought. Get yourself cleaned while your here." She walked down the hallway to grab her coat and Shikamaru followed behind her concerned. "I'm gonna go buy some groceries from the store. I'll be back."

"Be safe." He said to her.

"Shikamaru, don't let yourself get carried away and ruin his life too." With that she left slamming the door behind her. He was stunned. That's the exact thing he feared and he knew she was absolutely right.

——————

As soon as she slammed the door behind her she knew shouldn't have said that to him. That was low and uncalled for. She should have kept herself in check.

'I'm sorry Shikamaru. Please give me some more time.'

She left to the stores and picked up some groceries. After all it wasn't just an excuse to get out of the house, she needed to get some more food for this week. Shopping took longer than expected.

One thing to another, she got sucked in by the store clerks effective bombardment of items. She sighed thinking how she spent way more money then she planned too. Then she felt chakras all of a sudden and went in a defensive stance. A second later and she realized that this chakra seemed quite familiar.

"Kankuro and Gaara. Got a something important going on here?" She said and the two appeared out of the shadows. Kankuro had his hands behind his head annoyed that his sister caught on already. Gaara was had his rare, once in a blue moon, warm smile. Well maybe not that rare for his siblings.

"Yeah actually, we do. The important thing was you." She was touched that they came all this way.

"Damn it! I thought I would be able to scare you." He complained. She scoffed while giving her younger brother a hug.
"Glad to see your still dumb as fuck."
"Glad to see your still a b-," 

"Ahem." There younger sibling interrupted. They both stoped there bickering. Even though he was the youngest he was the only one to keep them in check. Kankuro cleared his throat and had his arms awkwardly open. Temari smirked and hugged him too.

"Yeah I miss you too." She answered.
"Let's head to your house now so you can feed us." Kankuro patted her head.

'Is he...still home. I don't know if I should tell them or not.' Despite her uncertainty she nodded.

"Hurry up then." Her brothers followed behind her like starving puppies. It was cute she missed being around people who love her. Now she didn't feel lonely, only worried about how the will take the news when they find out.

——————

She opened the door and nervously looked about. She didn't see Shikamaru's shoes but she knew Shikadai was home. She was relieved. She made her way to the kitchen again with her two brothers following her around. She checked the time. It was around three when she left now it's 10.

"Make yourself comfortable." That's what she said but the both sat at the dining table right next to the kitchen. She sighed putting down the bags and unpacking them.

"You don't have to tell me twice."
"May I get some water please?"

Her brothers sure felt like a handful. Temari took out a glass and filled up with water then she noticed a note. It was from Shikamaru.

I'm sorry.
I stayed home with Shikadai but I have to get going. Naruto's not feeling well and there's a lot of work to finish. I hope I don't make the same mistake with him. Again I'm sorry.

-Shikamaru

She crumbled it up and stocked it in her pocket before her brothers saw. 'Damn it what I said probably really got to him.'

"Is there something wrong?" Gaara asked. She quickly brought the glass over to him.
"No, why?" She said as she set the glass down.

"Hey where's your bitch?" Kankuro asked leaning back in the chair.
"Kankuro." Gaara warned. Temari rolled her eyes.

"Can you refrain from calling Shikamaru a bitch." Temari expected to get a sneer out of her brother but instead she saw there worried faces. She was taken back. How did they know? What did she say that exposed her?

"Where's Shikamaru?" Gaara asked her noticing her slight panic.

"There's a lot a work piled up so he's with Naruto." She explained. They weren't buying it not like she wasn't telling the truth.
"Don't lie to us. Where is he?"

What was she supposed to say? How does she explain her husbands affair without them hunting him down. It was her fault too she noticed it but never stopped anything. She couldn't let him take the full blame. "Um..."

But there worried faces made it impossible to lie to them. Damn it, she hated how weak she was when it comes to her family. "Well I wasn't lying....exactly. He's with Naruto and doing work,"
"And?" Gaara inquired crossing his arms.

"He's having an affair." 
It was like the world stoped breathing. You could hear a pin drop it was so quiet. They were shocked and rightfully so. To think that Shikamaru of all people would cheat on his wife.

"He did what?" Kankuro growled. Sand started to swirl around Gaara as clenched his fist.
Temari sighed she knew they would get mad.
"It's not- well it is, but just listen!"

They seemed reluctant but the decided to hear the full story. "He's having an affair with Naruto. It's been going on for a half a year now."

"Isn't the Hokage married too."
"Brother let her explain, I'm sure there's a reason as why we shouldn't rip his head off."

"Calm down. It's my fault too. I let it get out of hand and so did he. I should stoped our relationship when I noticed how he lost those feelings. Now he's with Naruto and he's serious. I don't hate him, I'm just worried how things will be after this becomes public." They let her answer sink in nodding there heads.

"That's nice and all but that's not a good enough reason for me not to rip his head off."
"I agree." Gaara raised his hand.

"Don't hurt him. Ok maybe give him a good punch but that's it. He was the one to tell me about it. I mean I already figured out he harbored feelings for Naruto for three years but he told me."

"Wait, so this has been going on for three years?"
"No, he had feelings for him for three years, they started seeing each other around six months back."
"Ohh."

"Wow ok, but the most important part of this is, are you ok?" She looked at them genuinely confused on how to answer that. She didn't know what she was feeling, she thought she did but when it came time she let her anger seep in. Was she ok?

"I don't think so." She said unsure. Temari ruffed the side of her arm lost in her thoughts. Surprisingly Kankuro was the one to take initiative and went up to hug her. She smiled.

"I'll be fine." She reassured him. He only hugged her tighter and patted her head.
"You sure?" He asked on more time. Gaara wanted to join in but wasn't too good at social interactions still. Temari reached her hand out encouraging him to join the hug.

"I would never lie to you guys."