Chapter 2: A Lucky Exhibition Match

"I have to win this for the chairman! Do you really think I'd let you keep me from everything I want?"

Bede woke up, sweating. He didn't have dreams often, but tonight was apparently the exception. Bede looked at the clock, it was 5 am. He had a whole 7 and a half hours until his Pokemon battle against Raihan. The Dragon Gym Leader had specifically asked for Bede to train against, and Bede accepted due to him needing something to take his mind off of some recent feelings about a Champion. Bede decided against going back to sleep, and instead got ready for the match early. Bede had nothing else to do, so he took a Flying Taxi to Hammerlocke early and started walking around the city, thinking to himself. The dream he had made him think about the old days, back when he was a Gym challenger and specialized in Psychic type Pokemon as opposed to Fairy types. It offered both nostalgia and also guilt. He hadn't been the kindest to Y/N and Hop, or really anyone.

All of a sudden, Bede knocked into someone. He stumbled back, but luckily didn't fall. "Bede you never struck me for the 'Walk through Hammerlocke at early hours' type." The person he knocked into said. It was Piers. Confused, Bede asked Piers "What are you doing in Hammerlocke of all places?". Piers laughed for a second, and replied "Cheering on my boyfriend as he battles against a Gym leader. Unfortunately, I don't think Y/N will be doing the same thing.". To say Bede was as red as a Charmeleon would be an understatement. "I- Wha?! I am not Y/N's boyfriend!" Bede stammered, while Piers was laughing. "I'm just kidding with you, Hop has a higher chance with Y/N than you, and he likes Marnie.". Bede scoffed and rolled his eyes. "So what are you doing here?" Piers continued. "Your battle against Raihan isn't happening for another 6 hours." Bede debated telling Piers what was actually going on, but considering that Piers was more than protective over Y/N, and Piers knew Bede wasn't the nicest to them during the Gym challenge, he decided against it. "Just walking down 'memory lane' or whatever they call it." Bede replied. "Mmmm, you're lying. It's as clear as day." Piers replied. "Seriously, I raised Y/N, they got in to a lot of trouble as a kid. 'Course I caught them everytime cause they always had to bring Shuckle. What's really going on?" Bede's jaw was all the way down, and his eyes were widened more than a Ditto's. Piers laughed, said goodbye to Bede, and then walked to Hammerlocke stadium, leaving Bede at a loss for words. 

"You utter dumbass, Bede. Yeah, lying to the one who raised Y/N and Marnie is a great idea!" Bede yelled at himself, in an area in Hammerlocke where nobody went. Bede smacked his forehead, and went over the events that had transpired. He was about to insult himself some more, when he was interrupted by a barking sound. He looked to where the sound was, and there was a small electric Corgi starring at him. 

"Yamper, don't run away and bark at random people!" Bede heard what he assumed to be the Pokemon's trainer call out. When she got there, Bede was shocked to see the red headed Professor Sonia coming to Yamper. "Bede? What are you of all people doing here?" She asked him. Bede had no idea if he should or shouldn't tell Sonia about what's been going on the past week. However he needed someone to talk to about it. 

Sonia had brought Bede to a cafe in Hammerlocke, relatively close to the Gym so that after Bede was done talking he could go straight to his exhibition match. After finding seats, there was a short and awkward silence between the two. Suddenly, Sonia gasped. "You're having romance problems aren't you!?" Sonia was now as excited as a Yamper who discovered that chasing after its Trainer was fun. Bede's jaw dropped, genuinely surprised at how Sonia knew exactly what was going on. But nevertheless he slowly nodded. "Who's the lucky person? Wait, don't tell me. You like Y/N don't you?" Bede was half convinced that Sonia was actually a Psychic type Pokemon who knew how to read minds by now. "Oh, sorry. I haven't let you speak at all." Sonia apologized. Bede sighed, and poured his heart out about all that's been going on.

"It started after the exhibition match with Y/N. I didn't have the urge to insult them to a point of no return anymore. Then when they shook my hand and congratulated me, it felt like every Butterfree in the world was Quiver Dancing inside my stomach. I didn't want them to leave the stadium. I wanted to be there, with them. Now all I can think about is Y/N. But last night I had a dream, about the battle Y/N and I had when I destroyed the mural at Stow-On-Side. I asked them if I'd allow them to keep me from everything I wanted, but now they're the one I want. I wanna be the one who they wake up to a text from saying 'Good morning' or 'I love you'. But for the past almost year I've been nothing but horrible to them. Piers himself said Hop had a better chance with them than me, and Hop likes, well never mind." Bede took a minute to breathe, he hadn't poured his heart out like that in a while. Sonia took in everything that Bede said, trying to think about what advice to give the platinum blonde Gym leader. "Bede, I hereby diagnose you with 'In love'! You really do like Y/N!" She exclaimed. Bede had to resist throwing some kind of insult. It wasn't smart to insult someone who was technically helping you. "What I'd personally do if I were you, is get closer with Y/N. Lay off the insults, spend quality time with them. Once you feel the time is right, confess your feelings to them! Relationships built off friendship are more likely to succeed than ones that aren't. I'd know, Nessa and I have been going strong since before Y/N was Champion." Sonia continued. Bede had no idea they were dating, but now that he thought about it, the two were extremely cute together. "Thanks Sonia, I guess." Bede got up, unsure on what else to say. Sonia smiled and waved, as Bede left the café, thinking about how the heck he'd start spending 'quality time' with Y/N. 

"Duraludon, Gigantamax!"

"Hatterene, Gigantamax!" 

The exhibition match was on. Both Gym leaders down to their last Pokemon. It was getting heated, nevertheless. Bede knew there was a 75% chance he'd lose this battle, Duraludon being part steel type. As Hatterene was growing in size, Bede was thinking on which Max move he'd have Hatterene use. As he called out "G-Max Smite" he locked eyes with Y/N in the crowd watching the match. They were cheering for him. Bede had a new shift in confidence, and it appeared Hatterene did as well. As she survived a Max Steelspike,  Hatterene landed a critical hit with G-Max Smite, doing massive damage to Duraludon. The effect of G-Max Smite confusing it. Bede crossed his fingers, hoping Duraludon would hit itself in confusion. 

"Duraludon is now unable to battle! Gym leader Bede has won this match!" For the first time in the months he'd been a Gym leader, Bede genuinely smiled at the announcement that he'd won a match. The crowd was screaming, and Bede once again locked eyes with a standing, screaming, clapping Y/N in the crowd, and Bede could feel like face heat up hotter than a Centiskorch.