Chapter 1: Charmeleons And Butterfrees

"I refuse to believe Y/N of all people in this freaking region is late. It's not like them." Bede sighed. Y/N had their first Exhibition Match of their Champion career, and just their luck, it was against Bede. The two had agreed on meeting up in Hammerlocke an hour before the match then take the train to Wyndon, but Y/N had not arrived, and it was now 30 minutes before the match. As Bede approached Spikemuth, he let out a disgusted sigh. "Honestly, how do they stand living here? This town is so tiny." Bede said as he walked into the town.

"Alright Shuckle! Finish it with an Earthquake!" Bede heard a familiar voice call out. More than annoyed, he let out an aggravated sigh and followed the voice. The voice led him to the Dark type gym's arena. Inside was Y/N and Marnie, having a Pokemon battle. Marnie sighed, and said "Good job, Y/N, that battle got me really hyped. I'm gonna beat you next time, though!". Y/N was beaming. They thanked their Pokemon for the battle, and started walking to the Pokemon center. They froze when they saw Bede standing in the arena's entryway, and their eyes widened like a Ditto.

"Alright, let me get this straight. You decided to battle your sister, an hour before your exhibition match? Are you stupid?" Bede asked Y/N. They nodded, causing Bede to laugh. "Yea, I figured you were more stupid than I give you credit for." Right after he said that, Y/N's Centiskorch popped out of its Pokeball. Bede screamed, and jumped back. Last time he saw that Centiskorch, it was when he challenged Y/N during the Dynamax Pokemon fiasco, and it didn't end well for his Pokemon. "Bede, are you scared of Centiskorch?" Y/N asked, smirking. "Wha- Of course not! I'd never be scared of something as miniscule as a Centiskorch!" Bede scoffed. Clearly offended, Centiskorch threw a small flame ball in Bede's direction, only barely missing. Y/N was laughing hysterically, while Bede was as red as a Charmeleon at this entire situation.

"Mawile, go!"
"Let's go Volcarona!"
The two managed to make it to the exhibition match with minutes to spare. "Mawile, show Y/N and their Volcarona your Crunch!" Bede called out. Y/N whispered something to their Volcarona, and smirked. Mawile went first, doing almost a quarter of Volcarona's HP. Volcarona then used Flamethrower, sending Mawile back into her Pokeball. Bede sent out Gardevoir, not looking forward to this battle.

Bede only managed to knock out Y/N's Volcarona and Frosmoth. He lost easily, even with Fairy types resisting Bug types. Y/N's team was just too powerful, even without them Dynamaxing often. Rolling his eyes, he reluctantly congratulated Y/N on yet another victory. For some odd reason, he felt a strange feeling when Y/N shook his hand after the battle, and when they complimented his battling skills. For the first time in a while, Bede didn't feel the need to throw any insult towards Y/N.

"What the hell is up with me today?" Bede asked his Hatterene standing in front of him. "Normally I insult them without hesitation, but this time I just couldn't. And what's with that feeling I got when they shook my hand, congratulated me, then left? Why am I feeling like this, Hatterene?"

To clear his mind, Bede decided to take a walk in the Glimwood Tangle. He didn't expect anything, but he brought Hatterene's Pokeball with him. Bede often walked in Glimwood Tangle, often interacting with the Pokemon there frequently. Bede barely managed to get 30 feet in the forest, when he heard Y/N's voice somewhere in the forest. Without thinking, Bede ran towards their voice. When he found Y/N, they were battling a group of Impidimp, with a Phantump behind them. "Shuckle, use Earthquake! Ribombee, use Dazzling Gleam!" They called out. The Imdidimp ran away, and the delighted Phantump started happily flying around. "You're welcome little Phantump! Go stay safe all right?" Y/N patted Phantump's head and the Pokemon ran off into the forest.

"Let me get this straight. You were walking in the Glimwood Tangle, and saw that group of Impidimps attacking the Phantump?" Bede asked Y/N. They nodded and said "I was looking for Bug type Pokemon to see. You remember how I specialize in Bug types right?" Bede laughed. "How could I forget? Your team terrorized mine during the Gym challenge, and still does thanks to your Scolipede.". There was an awkward silence between the two trainers, when Bede realized. "Y/N, there aren't any Bug types here. You know that. All we have are Ghost, Psychic, Dark, and Fairy types." Bede rolled his eyes, genuinely surprised Y/N of all people didn't know that. "Well you never know if something will surprise you!" Y/N replied. Just as they finished their sentence, Shuckle came bouncing out of its Pokeball on its own. Y/N picked him up and held him in their arms, almost like a baby. "I'll never understand how you let your Pokemon just pop out of their Pokeballs. It's strange. And why do you always have to carry your Shuckle?" Bede asked Y/N, intrigued but didn't want to actually have Y/N know that. "I let my Pokemon come out of the Pokeballs on their own because I trust them. And I carry around Shuckle because he likes to follow me outside of the Pokeball, and he's incredibly slow." They replied. There was another awkward silence, but it was broken by Y/N saying goodbye to Bede and walking towards Stow-On-Side. As Bede walked back towards Ballonlea, his face was hot and red as a Charmeleon and he felt Butterfrees in his stomach.

Editor's note: I finally finished this chapter! It took a while for me to get the actual chapter correct. I didn't want it to be too dramatic, and the first draft of the chapter was WAYYYY too dramatic. I really hope you enjoyed this first chapter, and please leave a comment with any feedback you may have!