He examined the faces placed in front of them. Sure they were criminals, they weren't exactly innocent on all counts, but no one deserves to serve time for something they didn't do. Jake and Rosa knew that as well as anyone.

"So did you try to find these guys? If they cooperate and put in a plea about the crimes they were coerced into to admitting to, most of them could be out in a month, right?" he picked up the top photo. He recognised the dirty blonde hair and small tattoos from the last time he had examined these files. For someone so young to miss out on so much youth seemed as criminal as any other act.

"Exactly what we tried to do but.... they're not talking, seems whoever they're protecting is still pretty threatening. They most likely have connections to gangs inside who wouldn't like to hear that they're cooperating with the investigation" Jake's chest sunk at her words but Amy's eyes remained filled with glee.

"We did however find someone who could give us a name, and that name got us this" Amy's eyes flashed with glee as she prepared to divulge the newly discovered information. She reached into her files and flicked through each of the pages looking for the specific photograph that answered all their questions. The photo landed above the others scattered across the files and sheets.

It pictured a woman with platinum blonde hair and a crisp black pant suit. She couldn't be much older than thirty with twinkling light eyes and a welcoming smile. She looked warm, inviting, professional and sophisticated. The exact opposite of every crime boss Jake had ever seen on a case. It was rare for a woman to be so highly feared and regarded in organised crime, especially a business as cut throat as drugs and yet she had half the city shaking in terror.

"This is Olivia" Rosa stated simply. Jake tried to keep his face emotionless but the confused scowl was easy for the two to notice. "Don't be fooled, she only has a few spent convictions on her wrap sheet but seems she's responsible for half the drugs in New York"

"What makes you so sure she's responsible for everything?" Jake asked warily and the two women shared a slightly uneasy look. Amy took a seat on the edge of the desk behind her a slight nauseous tinge had grown across her skin.

"She has a... calling card. Remember those guys they pulled out of the Hudson last week?" Rosa's gripped this inside of her cheek firmly between her teeth as she spoke.

"That real gruesome one?" Jake asked his mind spinning back to the case, he luckily hadn't been called to the scene but at least three uniforms had vomited as soon as they had seen the grizzly sight. Rosa only nodded, neither of them wanted to discuss the photos that had entered evidence that night.

The injuries had been so severe that it was impossible for either of them to be identified. Their fingertips were worn away until their prints were non existent and their faces so bloody and swollen that you could barely tell their features began.

Most horrifying was the final blow that had ended their short lives. Both had their throats slit from ear to ear and their tongue sliced clean from their mouths while still alive. This act had been seen a few times before but whoever had enacted this kill had gone a step further to carve the word 'RAT' into one of the poor guys forehead. There was so much blood that the only identifying feature the pathologist could find was that one of the victims was a natural redhead.

"We think this and the killings a few years back are all linked to her, this is her way of keeping people quiet"

Jake's eyes were still glued on the photographs before him. He wondered who they loved enough to risk serving time at a max prison for and how that person was coping without them. "I think you're right" His mind drifted to Mia for a moment, and her emerald eyes "if I had to choose between jail time and that happening to someone I loved, I'd take the time any day"