You'll Be Fine

She had been found out and she knew she was in trouble. Her stomach lurched from one worst-case scenario to the next as Jake slept peacefully beside her. She thought of work that evening and it took all her strength to stop herself from vomiting there and then.

"Mhmm..." he groaned sleepily, wrapping his arm around her torso as he began to wake "Good morning Babe" he whispered lovingly into her ear but she didn't respond. She had barely slept. She caught a couple of minutes here and there but she was awoken every time by horrifying stress induced dreams that left her cold and sweaty.

Jake kissed the spot below her ear delicately and she managed to let her body relax for a moment, melting under his touch. She crawled further towards him nuzzling her head in his chest.

"Ahh don't do that when you know I have to get up for work.." he chuckled sweetly placing another peck on the top of her head.

Work, fuck

She thought once again about what was in store for her. She had rejected Drew and now he held an immense amount of power over her head. She brought Jake closer to her, she somehow felt safe here in this moment, as if the outside world didn't exist. Unfortunately, it couldn't last.

"If I don't get in the shower now the Captain will have my head" he smiled brushing her hair off her face.

"You really gonna leave me here all alone?" she asked with a joking tone but part of her felt a bit safer with a cop by her side.

"Criminal isn't it" he winked. She made coffee for the two of them while he showered but her eyes kept skitting back to that damn phone. She jumped when he appeared dressed in his usual work attire and she couldn't help but admire how handsome he looked. She toyed with his tie as he sipped from the mug she had handed him.

"I wish we'd spent more time in bed this morning" she cooed seductively.

Jake nearly choked on his coffee jumping back to avoid the splutters staining his shirt "Well if you had told me that I would have just been late" he smirked placing down his cup so he could kiss her lips "Will you be here when I get back?"

"If you want me to be"

"Of course I do" he rolled his eyes.

"I'm supposed to be working tonight' she said hiding her twinge of fear "But I can wait to see you first"

Jake's mouth spread into a wild smile before he took a seat at his breakfast table across from her. They sat and ate and exchanged small talk until Jake said something that made her ears really prick up.

"Hey, I meant to tell you, I spoke to someone about that receptionist job at work"

"What did they say?" she blurted out quickly trying to hide her enthusiasm.

"Not a lot, the old receptionist wants to leave at the end of next month so they should be looking to hire in the next few weeks"

Not soon enough, she thought.

"Takes a while though they go through this whole procedure before they even get to interviews"

"What do you mean?" she asked her brows beginning to furrow.

"Well if you're working at a precinct they have to background check you, go through your files see if there's anything that sticks out that would stop you from working there," He said completely relaxed as he scrolled through his phone between sips from his mug.

'Oh..." she started her stomach dropping to the floor "I didn't know that.."

Jake only laughed "Don't worry Mia, you'll be fine! They're just looking for skeletons in people's closets, you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about" he stood up from his seat before placing his mug in the sink. He grabbed his jacket and threw it around his shoulders before heading back towards her. He snaked his arms around her waist and kissed her goodbye, letting his lips linger on hers for longer than needed.

"I already can't wait to see you later" she whispered against his lips, Jake only laughed again, pushing her hair behind her ear.

"Me neither" he pecked her lips once more and left the apartment, leaving Mia alone to consider what she should do next.