The Edge of Abyss

– K Á R A –

There was a burning conflict in Tayah tonight. It had been below the surface ever since the original had dropped among us in the cold. Her power seemed to hum. A tangible thing that surrounded her. I saw past the brief half smiles and reached the distance in her eyes. But she would not hold my gaze. I knew she feared I would see too much.

But I was not going to stop her from approaching that mortal boy. I could see how it would only drive her further from rational decisions tonight.

Instead of remaining opposite my least favourite mortal in the realm, I pushed off from the long banquet and drew up my hood. I dodged the furred patrons who danced and drank. I slipped against the far wall and took a slow pace past one of the large fireplaces to keep track of my immortal and her buffoon. There would be no harm in her proximity but I knew her intentions even if she did not. She will get that boy's attention one way or the other.

Kaden twirled her in a meaty arm with all the elegance of a drunken bear. Tayah's smile was brief and didn't touch her eyes until he murmured something over the noise and a wide grin broke out. I rolled my shoulders and took a swig from the tankard in my hand.

My eyes scanned through the other tall mortals until I found their target. The small boy was hardly visible. His small head darting in-between many larger men and women.

I tipped the rest of the drink back and left it on the fireplace mantle. I crossed my arms and watched them slip closer. It would not take much for me to lunge forward if necessary. Perhaps a few blinks.

The Kantons weren't an observant bunch but they were protective of their lands. Almost obsessively so. It was wise they had not tried to waltz through the war lord's compound. Many would have fallen that night if they had.

Something caught my attention.

A glint in a place it shouldn't be. The wink of metal only briefly. I stilled and cast my gaze up to the high wooden balcony near chandeliers at the edge of the room. Only darkness. But I knew what I saw. I scanned above quickly and caught the fingers of a glove disappear from the edge. I was off the wall in a snap when it happened.

Like flint to kindling. Like a droplet before the storm.

The room erupted into a chaos none could have been ready for. Arrows flew from above in number and intent. I raised a fist and reduced half a dozen to ash. There was a scream and shouting as other mortals were not so fortunate.

Swords drew rapidly as I slipped between them all and caught a female shout that froze my heart over. Tayah's pain was obvious among them all–but not for the reason I had thought. I threw the last heavy mortal from my path and beheld her crouched over the small boy's form with an arrow through his shoulder.

Mortals took a defensive position around the war lord as he bellowed in rage. Tables were thrown over with the contents spilled across the floor in a crash and roar. A thin mortal slipped close with a dagger pressed to his forearm. I shoved a blade beneath his jaw before he had a chance to raise his arm in their direction. A dark bearded guard flinched and stared wide eyed at me before dropping me a nod.

"Yanu!" Tayah shouted. I ducked under another guard and drew a hand on her shoulder but she didn't seem to notice. She seemed desperate to send her energy through him.

"Tayah let me–"

She snarled and whirled, angling a blade at me. I caught her wrist with a calm expression. Her rage dropped a spell and she shook the tears from her eyes.