Chapter 21 | An Obvious Trap

Start from the beginning

"...Yeah. Mama showed us once. But we don't know where they are or how to destroy them." Norman tells her.

"And that's why you can't escape, huh?" Sister Krone says.

"...But do you know, Sister Krone?" Emma asks her.

"Is here." She touches the back of her ear. "Somewhere in the left ear. I have no idea how to destroy them...but I'd advise against it. After all, both that thing and the headquarters will get an alert if you do." Sister Krone explained.

"It's just like Ray said. And she didn't lie about the location either." Emma thought.

"You've got no choice but to remove them from your body. Cutting them out would be an option, I suppose." She adds.

"But this building has barely anything sharp. Knives...even the cooking knives we have wouldn't do the job. And once we do make our escape, we won't have any medicine either. I'd rather not leave this place with a high risk of blood loss or a nasty infection." Norman tells her.

"Well, there is a rather decent scalpel inside the medical kit here. You rarely ever need it...but it's there, just in case an accident happens within the house grounds. All the tools and drugs you'll need will be in the infirmary as well...including anesthesia. I'd say we have enough material in stock for 5 kids. As for the key, I'll lend to mine. Heck, I'll even teach you how to properly carry out the procedure. And with that, this case is closed. What's next?" She asks the kids.

There's silence amongst them before Maiko asks...

"How old are you? Were you born into this state, just like we were?"

"Geez, have some decency! You should never ask a grown woman her age... Is what I'd like to say, but... I'm 26."

"Born in 2019, huh?"

"I was born and raised in a Grace Field House. As for Isabella, she's 31."

"Born in 2014..."

"And she, also... was born and raised in a place like this."

"Huh?!" The four thought in unison.

"At least, that's what it said in her records."

"Mama was born before that book was even published...and yet she was born on a farm like us, too?" (Y/N) thought.

"So neither of these adults are from the "outside" world, huh?" Maiko thought.

"How is the outside world? Have you ever seen it?" Norman asked her.

"Never."

The four were surprised by her answer.

"What did you expect me to say "yes", even if it was a lie?" She questions. "Finally, a change in expression." "It's true, I haven't. But I know that there are humans out there. Adults like us who come from farms produce your food. But there are also people from the "outside" world who produce and deliver all of our clothes and other supplies." She explained.

"Supplies?" Emma questions.

"Like toys...and books...?" (Y/N) asks.