“Um… Best out of three?"

“My pride hurts, but I will accept it.”

I can hear his teeth grinding.

But I felt a little proud.

He didn’t submit to his pride.

He’s grown up a lot.

“If I lose again this time, I’ll cut Jay’s salary, since he’s the one who taught me how to play.”

I take back my words.

People don’t change easily.

I changed my tactics to protect Jay’s salary.

We shuffled the cards to play again. Chachachacha! God of Cards, forsake me!

***

Sharon always took naps at certain times. After she went to sleep, the mansion always fell into silence.

Today was no different.

Sharon wouldn’t wake up even if the world ended.

'How does she even wake up in the morning?'

In the end, Julien, who won the game, would be Sharon’s first dance partner.

'He’s a real coward… But maybe I shouldn’t say that.'

She was the same, still wrapped around her mother’s skirt.

"Lady Carol, it’s the butler."

"Come in."

Carol, sitting by Sharon’s side, greeted the butler.

"Milady. Letters and gifts to wish you a happy birthday are arriving. How would you like to deal with them?” the butler asked politely.

When Sharon wasn’t around, Carol was mature, haughty and cold. Like a person made of ice, she only spit out cold words expressionlessly. So, the mansion when Sharon was absent or asleep was always like winter.

"Please return them."

The servants couldn’t let down their guard even though the young mistress spoke to them politely because her dark green eyes were as cold as a pine tree on a field of snow.

She drew a line by being courteous, and she would never forgive anyone who crossed that line.

That was who Carol was.

"Yes."

“Don’t accept any gifts that seem to have ulterior motives. Whatever their expectations of me, I have no intention of listening.”

"By your command."

She didn’t do anything immature, like carrying around a whip or bullying people openly.

Sharon taught her how to behave gracefully and nobly. She was told not to look down on people in the areas where she herself was not confident. In exchange, Sharon would accept her, no matter how much she stuck close to her or acted naughtily. 

The sweetness was like poison for Carol.

“Please prepare an omelet for supper. Sharon surprisingly wants something light."

"But…"

"I don’t like repeating my words."

The butler, who Carol deliberately cut off, shut his mouth.

"Yes…"

In fact, Carol didn’t like omelets. But Sharon liked it, so Carol would eat it anyway.

The butler walked away, and Carol sighed deeply.

“When will Sharon wake up?”

If Sharon wasn’t taking a nap, they would have been able to share a warm pie, read a book, or take an art class together.

Sharon wasn’t fond of going out. Instead, she was good at doing most things that required handiwork.

Painting, crafting, cooking.

Everything.

Carol learned the sweetness of homemade cookies because of Sharon and learned the loveliness of the flower crowns they made together.

With her presence, Carol was gradually cured.

“Sharon… I feel like you’ve already slept for at least two hours!”

But when she looked at the clock, that wasn’t the case.

“What the heck. Why is the time so sluggish? It hasn’t been 30 minutes!"

Carol huffed and crossed her arms. It was a waste of time to sit around watching Sharon.

“If I just had power, I wouldn’t need to team up with that prince bastard.”

It was truly regrettable. However, since Julien had fallen for Sharon a long time ago, teaming up with him was better than moving separately.

However, until the day Sharon or Carol got married and started a family, Carol wanted to monopolize her.

A family…

If it was Sharon, she might not have even thought about it. Was Sharon worried about her future?

"Over my dead body."

It was too scary to imagine a future without Sharon.

“Taking away something you give is poor manners.”

It was wrong to take away the sweetness that Carol had learned. So no matter what happened, she would have to hold Sharon by her side.

Carol’s dark green eyes glistened sharply as she looked at Sharon.

[TN] Sorry that this is so late (and short)! I couldn’t finish the chapter on time, so I had to split it in half. I’ll try to put up the other half tomorrow, but there are some IRL things happening.