So… why won’t they just get along?

They say people become fond of each other by fighting, but that’s only if they make up.

I pulled my hands out of Carol’s and Julien’s grips, who were pulling me like they would split me in half.

“Both of you, follow me. I’ll take the lead.”

By the look of it, that was probably for the better.

***

A total of six people came to this picnic.

Madame DeJoue, Madame Berna, me, Carol, the prince, and lastly, Madame DeJoue’s younger brother.

I was fascinatedly observing the boy that was Madame DeJoue’s brother.

The boy, who was 8 years older than me, was currently studying law.

His name was Huran.

He was much younger than Madame DeJoue, who was 25 years old. However, he had a very adult-like attitude.

A neat mouth, straight nose, and black eyes. And Huran also had black hair, which was unusual for this world.

Madame DeJoue looked at me meaningfully as I stared at him.

“Hmm. Lady Sharon, have you caught a fancy to Huran?”

Pabababak.[1]

Did I really just hear that?

Everyone except Madame DeJoue and Huran turned to look at the boy at the same time.

Huran became flustered and flushed at the situation, but their stares were relentless.

And at my sides, Carol and Julien who had obstinately held my hands tightened their grips.

Ah, Madame DeJoue. Why did she say something so unreasonable?

“It’s not like that. I have no thoughts of dating yet.” I said, taken aback. I closed my lips.

Darn.

That wasn’t something an 8-year-old would say.

But nobody paid mind to my words. It was as if they didn’t even hear them as they looked at Huran as if they were going to dissect him.

I feel bad for him. What could I do?

But it wasn’t as if I was comfortable either, since my hands felt as if they were encased in armor.

Really, these kids.

The only person who heard me was Madame DeJoue, who was smiling amusedly.

Agh, seriously. She did it on purpose. She did it on purpose!

“I apologize, Huran.”

I didn’t know if he even heard my murmur. The two jealous kids at my sides were practically snarling, so it was difficult to even attempt a proper conversation.

I didn’t really mean anything like that.

I had a different reason for being unable to take my eyes off of Huran.

I couldn’t help myself. He looked too much like my ex, who I was forced to break up with because of unfortunate circumstances, and it made my heart ache.

Chan Lee.[2]

We had been together for about 10 years.

Our relationship was so close that even after we broke up, we remained good friends.