“But what about you, my lady? Why don’t you consider your own happiness?”

Her question left me speechless.

Was it possible for me to have a happy ending in this world?

No, in the first place, could I even stay here with them until the end? Shouldn’t I… go back?

Furthermore, I kept dreaming that nightmare. That nightmare, with the strange pungent smell, where someone lays dead… What if it’s someone that I know? What if it isn’t just a dream?

Would I be able to bear it? What choice would I make, if I ever had to kill someone with my own hands?

It would be nice to be able to dream of a happy ending, free from these doubts. A luxury, even.

For now, I just had to make sure I didn’t die.

The only thing I can guarantee for myself is life, to keep breathing.

Madame DeJoue, who had been watching me contemplate all this quietly, sighed deeply.

“That attitude of yours isn’t right, my lady. Then, let’s do it like this. You can continue doing your best for the happiness of the people you care about, and I’ll do my best to take care of your happiness.”

I was touched by her words. I dipped my head into a slight nod.

“…You said you needed information about the Duchess, correct? It’s more than possible. I have eyes on the Empress; of course I would be able to place eyes around the Duchess.”

I don’t know what the extent of Madame DeJoue’s abilities are…

She was like an amazing older sister, and I was glad that she was on my side.

“I’ll do whatever my lady desires, so please. Just be happy.”

I was thankful for her words.

Now, I knew for sure that there was one person who truly wished me happiness.

I had a sudden thought.

When I went back to my original world and the real Sharon came back, Madame DeJoue would at least remember this ‘Sharon’. This small hope sprouted like a rose in my heart.

***

Carol woke up from her nap, a white streak of drool on her face.

She yawned, and gave me an awkward smile. “Hehe. I had a nice nap.”

“I’m sure you did. You were deeply asleep,” I murmured.

Carol scratched her head, and I continued, “Let’s have dinner and wash up.”

“Okay.”

Hand in hand, we left the study together.

Just as I thought we would quietly end the day like this, we were visited by an uninvited guest.

“Kyaaaaaah!”

Carol screamed like a banshee as she burrowed into my blankets.

She had come to my bedroom again, shaking as the lightning split the sky and painted it white.

“No such thing as a peaceful day,” I murmured.

Carol didn’t hear me, as she refused to even come out from under the blanket.

Ah, puppy. It’s not going to stop just because you covered your head.

The only part of her buried in the blankets was her face. Her white calves were exposed, shaking in the dark.