“Maybe the crown prince wouldn’t like it—” I wasn’t really worried about that, but the whole situation would be troublesome.

“Don’t worry. He hates me the most!”

“…What are you talking about? That had nothing to do with what I was saying… A non-sequitur?”

“What’s a non-sequitur?”

Was that too advanced? I’m sorry.

“It’s nothing. Anyway, the prince might not like it if I go.”

“Hmm…. The prince won’t care!”

I squirmed, and Carol pulled out her puppy eyes.

No, what’s this?

In the two months since I came here, Carol had started to act more craftily. She noticed how I was weak to that face.

Instead of giving in to her, I knocked my knuckles on the book I was reading.

“Do you want to read this?” I asked.

“Will you come to the brunch party with me?”

“Ah…”

My attempt to change the subject and distract her had failed. Carol used to be so gullible, and I was unfamiliar with this new side of her.

I began to worry.

The emperor was a lusty man who bedded anyone whom he was attracted to, regardless of gender. The empress hated him, and she also hated the crown prince who strongly resembled him. Her attempt to put the prince on the throne was for her own satisfaction; there was no affection involved. In addition, the empress didn’t see the crown prince for himself. She was projecting the image of her firstborn son, who had passed away.

That wasn’t all. There were six prominent candidates on the list of possible successors to the throne, not including over 20 other half-brothers.

Could the crown prince have formed a proper, regal personality in such an environment?

The answer was no.

The crown prince had a personality as crooked as the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Come to think of it, the crown prince and Carol were like mirror images of each other.

“It would be good if you two coupled up and didn’t bother other people…”

“What did you say?” asked Carol.

That you and the crown prince suited each other, I didn’t say. I just smiled vaguely and shook my head. “It’s nothing. I just need to meet him with you, right?”

“Yup! We probably won’t fight if you’re there.”

“Why do you hate him so much?”

Carol huffed. “He’s a rude jerk! If you tell him not to do something, he goes right ahead and does it. He ignores everything you say, and if you try to get close to him at all, he just snaps at you!”

It sounded so familiar that I thought she was talking about herself for a moment. I could see the two interacting in my mind: like two stubborn mules facing off.

“But anyway,” I said. “Where did you learn the word ‘jerk’?”[T/N: The word that they use is ‘싸가지’, which isn’t technically a swear word but considered to be offensive nonetheless.]

Carol calmly gazed at me.

Oh. It was me.

My hand rose up to cover my lips. I should be more careful with my words.