"They're back!"

The cry echoed through the house. I didn't know who said it, where they were, or how they knew. It didn't matter. The moment I heard that announcement, I bolted from the room and ran down the hallway. Luna emerged from her room just as I flew past, and I knew she'd follow after me. Even though I wasn't the strongest wolf, I doubted anyone would be faster than me at the moment.

I slowed just enough to push open the patio door open. The guys were just emerging from the trees, the five of them with the two patrols. If my wolf hadn't been giving me a speed boost before, she certainly did now. I jumped off the patio stairs and sprinted towards the team. At the speed I was going, I couldn't really tell if they were seriously hurt or not.

Van jogged ahead of the rest and met me in the middle of the backyard. I didn't even try to slow down. He caught me before I fell or took both of us to the ground. With his arms tightly banded around my waist, some part of me finally relaxed. I clung to him as tight as I could, not caring who might emerge from the house and see us.

"You're okay," I cried, the tears breaking loose all at once.

"I'm okay," he confirmed, burying his face against my shoulder. "I'm sorry that we're so late. I'm sorry to worry you."

"What happened? I was doing stuff with your mom, and it suddenly felt like I got punched in the chest."

He grabbed my shoulders and pushed me away just far enough to look at me. "Wait. When was this?"

"...like four hours after you left," I answered.

"You felt that?" he gawked.

"Felt what? What happened out—" I glanced down at his shoulder, and my heart pounded against my ribs. "Van!"

Blood had soaked through his jacket at his shoulder. He wasn't grimacing, but there were a couple pained lines at the corners of his eyes.

"I'll fine," he murmured, squeezing my shoulders.

"But... there's a lot of blood," I sputtered, a new wave of tears coming down.

"It stopped bleeding hours ago." He cupped my face in his hands and swiped at my cheeks with his thumbs. "I'm a lycan, remember? I heal faster than the strongest werewolf. I'm fine."

I pushed his jacket aside and pulled the collar of his shirt down far enough to see where the blood had come from. It was a small wound, linear like a knife blade rather than round like a bullet. It was mostly healed over, but there was still some scabbing. Either way, he'd been hurt.

"I'm fine, Zoey," he repeated yet again, pulling my hand away so he could hug me again. I wrapped my arms around his chest and rested my forehead against his collarbone. We stood like that for a couple seconds.

"Let's go inside, okay?" he whispered. "It's dark out here and getting colder. Let's go up to our room; I'll take a quick shower, and then you can tell me how worried you were about me. Okay?"

"Okay." I turned to tuck myself against his side, and we followed the team into the house. Luna and Alpha swooped forward when we stepped through the door. Van released me just long enough to hug his parents, and then he wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

"I'll talk to you guys tomorrow," he promised them. "Right now, I need to help Zoey calm down. See you in the morning."

We trekked upstairs and into his room. After a pleasantly long hug, he deposited me on the bed and ducked into the bathroom for a shower. As I'd been too busy worrying about him, I took the time now to change into my pajamas. Sitting on the end of the bed, I stared at the floor and absently let me feet swing. He was back safe, so I could breathe again. Oddly enough, my shoulder still ached a bit.

If his would has healed, why do you still feel it? my wolf mused. Shouldn't the pain be gone by now?

Can't you connect with his wolf? Why don't you ask?

She shrugged and made no move to talk my suggestion. Why not was a mystery to me. Some days she was all action, and other days she let me do everything.

"Please stop looking so glum."

I looked up to find Van standing in front of me. He'd changed into a cotton T-shirt and a pair of lounge pants, and his hair was still wet from his shower. He looked down at me with slightly widened eyes and a hint of a smile.

"Cheer up. You're making me worry," he scolded gently, framing my face in his hands and pressing a kiss to my forehead. "And don't you dare apologize. Just show me a smile."

He knew me too well, already knowing that I would have said 'sorry.' I swallowed the word and put on a smile as he requested. His smile instantly grew bigger, and he rewarded me with another forehead kiss.

"That's much better, isn't it?" He sat down next to me and held my hands. After a minute of staring at our joined hands, he looked up into my face.

"I'm truly sorry to have worried you, Zoey. I got focused and forgot to let someone know that we were delayed."

I nodded and squeezed his hands. "You're used to doing things a certain way. I get that. You're back, so that's all that matters."

He studied my face for a minute before lifting a hand to cup my cheek. "You were really freaked out, weren't you?"

I didn't want to seem petty or immature, but my bottom lip pouted out as I nodded slowly. It was the truth, so I might as well admit to it.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "It won't happen again."

He crawled backwards onto the bed, pulling me with him. He stretched out on his back with an arm under my neck. I laid on my side with my cheek against his probably-still-healing shoulder, but he didn't seem to mind or be in pain. My wolf recognized that we were safe, and she relaxed. As the tension left her, I could feel my body relaxing too.

"You are truly something, Zoey," he murmured. "You have been through terrible things because of your mate, yet you are worried about me. What did I do to deserve you?"

"...absolutely nothing," I answered.

He tightened his hold around me and growled. "Hey..."

I giggled and hugged him. It didn't matter if we 'deserved' each other or not. We were together now, so that had to count for something.

"What do you want to do once you're free from him?" Van quietly asked.

"Anything... everything..." I answered. "But part of me is scared that I'll always have to be looking over my shoulder for him in case he retaliates."

"He won't dare retaliate. If he tries, he'd have to explain his motive. You will have a chance to tell your story, and no one will back him once you do. Besides, the alpha of Midnight won't risk the hostility of the lycans by letting his son go after someone protected by them."

I glanced up at him. "Will I? ...be protected even after the fact?"

He nodded. "I've been thinking about it. My parents can grant a special, lifelong protection policy. It's rare, but they've done it. It guarantees the protection and support of our pack for as long as you live—no matter where you go."

"But how do others know I'm protected?"

"You can get a special mark, essentially a tattoo," he explained. "Or carry an identity card with you. The mark is easier, because it's just part of you."

While I wasn't overly eager to get a tattoo—even if it would protect me—it definitely seemed like a plausible option. I should definitely ask Luna about it in the morning. A protection policy like that should be in place before I break my mate bond and make Jax super mad at me.

"Okay... This is way too much serious talk for me," Van sighed, settling his cheek against my forehead and closing his eyes. "Let's leave it for the morning. It's been a long day, and I just want to sleep knowing that I'm back with you."

I nodded and followed his example. With my eyes closed, I blocked everything else out and listened to the matching beats of our hearts. The gentle tapping did its magic, and I drifted off to sleep.