Chapter 56

Once I'm drained of tears, I feel like a lifeless body. Not even a body, just a doll. A limp, weightless doll.

Zack insists on finding the campsite so I stretch out my legs and stand up. My eyes threaten to close as I walk.

Finally, he picks me up off the ground and piggybacks me, probably moving faster than he was when I was walking. I try to warm up his arms as he walks but I keep falling deeper and deeper into sleep.

I wake up when we arrive at the campsite just as he's laying me down in the tent. My eyes blink, trying to clear up as I search for Katy.

"Where's Katy?" I ask. "Is she sleeping? Is she okay?"

Zack hesitates. "She's fine. Go to sleep."

"Did you see her? I have to make sure-"

"Amelia," he says. "She's... in my tent."

I blink. "What?"

"I guess she got confused or something," he says but I am 99% certain that she was not confused. This is definitely planned.

"It's fine," he continues. "I'll just-"

I grasp onto his wrist and he stops talking. Clearing my throat, I look up at him. "Stay."

"What?"

"Don't go to her," I say. "Stay with me."

"Are you sure?" he asks, his voice low.

I nod.

He glances to my hand on his wrist then sits down beside me, getting under the covers on the opposite side of the tent. We face opposite directions but I can still feel his presence. It takes everything in me not to turn around.

"Good night, Zack," I say so quietly I'm not sure if he can hear it. "Thank you."

"Good night, Amelia."

The second my eyes close, I fall asleep.

A/N: double update