Chapter 41

When I pick up the facetime call, Daniel is wearing a Stanford sweatshirt and his hair is combed over, which means my mom probably did it. It's nearly four in the morning for me but it's the only time Daniel is available.

"Are you okay?" I ask immediately. His undereyes are dark and his cheeks sunken.

"Yeah," he says. "Mom and dad were fighting all last night so I couldn't sleep."

I wish I could hug him through the screen. "I'm so sorry, Daniel."

Sometimes I wonder if I should've just apologized to them and let it go. Ever since I left, things have been worse for Daniel. I'm used to it but he's not.

"It's whatever," he says.

"What about school?" I ask. "If you ever need help studying, just call me. Do you need money? I have some-"

"Amelia, it's fine," he says. "They fight but they leave me out of it. You don't need to take care of me."

I bite the inside of my cheek. "Are you applying to Stanford next year?"

He rolls his eyes. "Yeah. Early."

"If you need me to read over your essays or help you with the application, I will."

He smirks slightly. "I got it," he says pointedly in a way that means stop talking. "Don't you have your own work?"

I grin back sheepishly. It's because of me that his family's going haywire. I can't help but feel guilty.

"You're more important," I tell him.

"Right," he says sarcastically.

"I'm serious."

He purses his lips. "Well, maybe if you could connect me with Zack so I can see if he knows some people..."

I look down. For the most part, I've been trying to avoid talking to Zack. Marcus is everywhere he is.

"He's really busy but I'll try."

"Okay. Thanks, sis. Hey, I'm gonna go now, okay? Derek wants to talk."

He hangs up and I lay back in bed. After taking a couple sleeping pills, I manage to fall asleep.

A/N: double chapter update