"There's your tree...God it sounds stupid saying that out loud." he deadpanned, "Can we give it a name or something like that? Steve maybe, like the guy from that game."

"I...Okay? Yeah we can call the tree Steve...?"

She had made a mistake. Oliver looked at her, now with the stupidest grin she had ever seen.
"Alright, now go, go and shove your hand in Steve's hole (Y/N)."

"Are you actually twelve?" the girl said, expressing disgust while leaving her companion behind. Oliver tried to compose his laughter while (Y/N) hesitated to take the paper out.

God why did he have to say that, now it's weird.

Sighing, she swallowed her pride and took the paper from the hole, hearing her friend laugh harder as she did so. Trying to ignore him dying behind her, she began reading the letter.

"Hello,
You seem to be curious about the murder I see. I haven't paid much attention to it, but I've heard news here and there. I'm not very keen on staying in touch with the world. I am usually very busy, that's why. It's very noble of you to want to help as a citizen. But you should be careful still. Who knows what could lurk around, so make sure to stay safe. I personally do not have an opinion on the murderer. Murder is murder, no matter how gruesome, it's all the same. Who's to know if they will catch them. Apparently they do not have many leads and evidence, or so I've heard. That means it's probably going to be a tough one to find soon."

Jack watched as the girl read the letter. He couldn't understand the emotions she was displaying. She would smile, but then drop it, and then again smile – all in circles. He watched as her friend approached her and said something that he couldn't hear. The girl laughed at whatever he had said. Jack frowned at his inability to hear what they were talking about, the wind blocking out any other sounds.

He had waited since Tuesday for her, coming to the same place before the sun rose and leaving as the sun disappeared. The waiting killed him figuratively speaking, but it was worth it. While waiting he had developed a plan and technique. He'd have to pay her a little visit soon enough, but for that to happen, he had to know where the girl lived.

She had already finished writing her response and took off with her friend when Jack returned from his thoughts. Slowly moving behind the thick trees, he avoided being too close to the main path of the forest. The dark only began to creep around the corners, so there still were some people around. They probably lived near, he'd concluded.

Following slowly, he could hear them laugh and talk about hell knows what, the wind still bothered him. Following them after they get to the main streets was going to be tricky. He would have to be quiet and stay further in the forest, unless he wanted to be seen by someone. Waiting for them to step outside the forest, Jack took a deep breath.

The streets were practically empty he noticed, with an exception of a person or two passing by once in a blue moon.

The leaves were crunchy underneath him, and he knew that if he moved too fast it would be over. So he had to follow from a safe distance again. As they kept getting further away, he walked slowly, peeking from the trees every once in a while to locate them.

The walk didn't continue much longer. He saw that the girl's apartment was around six minutes away from the main forest path. As they entered the building, Jack watched for the lights. The building wasn't big, observing it better, it seemed like there were maybe twelve apartments in total.

The light turned on. First floor, windows near the fence of the building. It's too perfect.

Jack stared at the windows for a while longer only to be interrupted by Oliver closing the blinds. That was his que to leave. He knew where the girl was, now he just had to figure out the schedules of the two, and where the girl's room was.

(Y/N) and Oliver entered the apartment laughing. Hanging their coats and taking off their shoes, the duo made their way to the TV.

"I choose the movie and you make popcorn." Oliver spoke as he sat on the couch. The girl only nodded, not being able to speak from her own laughter. While walking back home, Oliver decided to talk about his old High School stories - because according to him, in his time everything was much cooler than when (Y/N) went to High School.

Oliver wasn't by any means an old man, only three years older than (Y/N), but he thought that they lived in completely different worlds.

"You're going to piss the bed tonight if you continue laughing like that."
"Look at who speaking dumbass, the remote fell from your hands three times already."

"I'm going to throw the remote at you."
"I will eat all the popcorn and make you watch. Then you won't have to choose a movie, you'll have a horror masterpiece right in front of you."

Oliver gasped at the girl's threat, immediately apologizing and looking at the TV programs. (Y/N) calmed down after a little while and focused on making the popcorn.

While her friend searched for the movies, she got lost in her thoughts. Lauren and her haven't spoken about their research at all since that day. (Y/N) was on the edge, her thoughts focused only on her mysterious pen-pal and the things she had found out.

Luckily for me, no one seems to notice.

She returned to reality as her microwave started beeping, signaling that the popcorn was ready. Putting them in the bowl, she made herself comfortable on the couch and tried to focus on the movie that was just starting.

This whole situation is getting so annoying.

If only she knew that she wasn't the only one who thought the same thing.