Ch 19 - Oh Shit

Later that evening, Ryder and I were cuddling on his bed. I was trying to convince myself it was time to leave, to no avail. I was happy right where I was.

I had been so focused on having that conversation with Ashton that I had forgotten to tell everyone that I had been accepted into the nursing program I had applied for. So when I remembered, I told Ryder.

Ryder congratulated me and said, "I knew you'd get in. I'm so proud of you, baby," and he leaned in to kiss the tip of my nose. I grabbed onto his shirt so he couldn't pull away, inviting him in for a real kiss, which I had been craving all day. He gave me exactly what I wanted. As a bonus, he left a trail of kisses down my neck, to my shoulder. Just when I thought I was about to lose my mind, he pulled away, turning onto his back and taking me with him, so that I was lying on top of him. I was in the perfect position to return the neck kisses, which I did, then I nibbled on his earlobe. Being as inexperienced as I was, I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I just went with what I thought would feel good.

I must have been doing something right, because Ryder whispered, with a laugh, "You keep that up and we're going to be taking a trip to the tree house." He grabbed onto the back of my legs, flipping us back over, so that he was on top again. He gave me one more kiss, then sat up on his knees, releasing a giant sigh.

"Damn. This isn't exactly taking it slow. I'm sorry."

I sat up, also. "Screw this 'slow' bullshit. I'm down for the tree house, if you are. Just saying." I was teasing. But not really.

"Oh, you are?" he asked, sounding as though he was teasing as well. Something told me he wasn't. "Well, maybe the beach house would be more suitable. And a lot more comfortable." He laughed and held my face between his hands and gave me a long, slow, lingering kiss. "Maybe we can arrange that soon," he whispered against my lips.

"Yes, please," I whispered back.

Ryder sat back, taking on a more serious tone. "Are you serious? You're ready for that?"

I nodded, probably more enthusiastically than I should have. "Yes, I am. I mean, this 'taking it slow' idea is great, theoretically. But who are we kidding? We've known each other literally for as long as we can remember. I'm completely comfortable with you. I kind of feel like we've been in this ridiculously long and drawn out state of foreplay. I'm ready." I felt my face turning red and covered it. And of course I was giggling. I was totally open with Ryder. But talking about sex - sex with him - was new territory.

He removed my hands from my face and put them around his neck, pulling me so that I was straddling his legs. He held onto my waist, his hands under my shirt, his thumbs caressing my skin. "I feel the same way. Hell, I've felt like this for well over a year, Kate. I wish I had had the nerve to tell you a long time ago. Things could have been different."

I knew he was referring to having sex with the party chick. "It doesn't matter, Ry. You know I believe things happen for a reason. We're together now, and that's all that matters. So, are we telling 'take it slow' to take a hike or what?"

"Um, the answer to that would be yes." Ryder gave me my favorite one-sided smile. "Well, that escalated rather quickly." Yes, it sure did.

I almost told Ryder what I knew, or thought I knew, before I went home that night. But the mood was so perfect I didn't want to ruin it. If I had only known how things were going to work out though, I would have told him.

As luck, or fate, would have it, Ryder was supposed to be practicing with the band after school again the next day, and I was to be with him. But Jaxson cancelled for whatever reason, so Ryder just rode home with me instead.