Ch 15 - A Little Secret

I wasn't much of a romantic, but I was such a sucker for a wedding. I knew I'd end up shedding a few tears at some point, so I stuffed a few tissues in my purse. I'd probably need them later to wipe away the streaks of mascara running down my face. I didn't normally wear makeup every day, but since it was a special occasion, I had taken time to fix myself up.

Since it was officially a date, Mason picked me up. I answered the door to him holding a bouquet of pink roses. What he didn't know was that I didn't like flowers. Not only did I not like the smell, I never did understand why you would waste your money on something that's going to die in a few days. Nonetheless, it was a sweet surprise and I thanked him. After I put them in a suitable container (we had no vases as my mom shared my repulsion of flowers), we were on our way.

I knew at some point I would have to explain to Mason that Ryder and I were... well, I didn't really know what to call it yet. But I had to let him know to not expect anything other than friendship. I felt bad, because he had done the proper thing and asked us both about our relationship before asking me out. It wasn't my fault that our timing was off.

When I saw Ryder, standing with Calum and Ashton, I literally lost my breath for a second. He was absolutely gorgeous in his suit and tie. And he had taken time to style his hair, rather than going with the usual just-got-out-of-bed look. It was so odd to not feel like I had to suppress my feelings for him now. And it was difficult to not run up and plant a kiss on his beautiful full lips. I felt myself blush at the thought.

"Well, don't you look pretty," Ashton complimented as I approached, Mason at my side.

"Thank you. You guys look rather handsome yourselves."

As groomsmen, Ashton and Calum were wearing tuxedos. They were stunning. Ashton had longish wavy hair for as long as I could remember. That night he had it pulled back. And Calum was the definition of tall, dark, and handsome. Ryder always reminded me of him, with the dark hair and complexion. They were a nice looking bunch.

I couldn't wait to see my dad in a tux. Other than very few photos, I couldn't remember ever seeing my dad in anything other than jeans. I imagined he was still fussing about it that very moment. "Where's Dad?"

Ashton answered, "He's with Luke, probably still getting dressed. Such a procrastinator, that Mike."

"I want to see him. Mason, do you mind if I go talk to him for just a minute?" I felt kind of silly asking him, but didn't want to be rude and run off.

"No, go ahead. I'll be right here waiting on my lovely date." He added a wink and I felt so guilty, but just for a second.

Ryder was standing beside Mason, where everyone but Mason could see his face when he rolled his eyes. It took everything I had to keep from laughing, especially when I heard Ashton giggle.

Worst of all, Calum snorted and tried to cover it up by clearing his throat. I turned around and quickly started walking away before I lost it. Calum excused himself and said, "Wait up, Katesby."

I paused for him to catch up with me. As soon as we were out of sight we started laughing uncontrollably. "I detect a little jealousy from Ryder?" Calum said as more of a question than a statement. I smiled at him and shrugged. "Then why are you here with Mr. Trying Too Hard To Impress You?"

"Because I owe him a date? Ryder and I aren't really a couple or anything, Uncle Cal." Not yet.

He put his arm around my shoulders as we walked. "Let me tell you a little secret, Kate. You two have been a couple since you were little. You just haven't realized it yet, apparently."

"Actually, we just realized it. As in two days ago. But we have prior commitments we have to take care of before we make it official." I chuckled at how crazy that must have sounded.