"He always worries about my studies."

"Shouldn't he? It's what parents do." 

Nirik sighed. "I know. Just when it's important, I'd like him to tell me things. You guys are important to me."

"'I'll talk to him." He oofed as Nirik fiercely embraced him, knocking them both back.

"Be more careful in the future. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you too."

Shaugn hugged him tight as the little body trembled in his arms. Warm wetness hit his skin. Who knew this brat's feelings were so deep?

"Alright. No crying. I'm not going anywhere." He sat up and cupped Nirik's chin in his palm. "I have to see you married and with children first."

A snot bubble blew out of the youngster's nose as he laughed through his tears. Shaugn made a face and wiped the unsightly face in front of him.

"Eww. Look at you. So ugly. At this rate, I'll never be able to die. No one is going to want to marry such an ugly crybaby."

Nirik pulled away and wiped his face as he laughed. "So mean."

"I got you to laugh."

Akechi walked over with a wet rag for Nirik to clean his face. "Here you are, young prince."

"Thank you."

Shaugn flung the blanket off of himself and stood to stretch. He let out a groan as his bones popped back into place. Too much lying around was bad for the body. "Akechi, prepare a fresh set of clothes."

She hurried to his armoire. "Are you going out, majesty?"

He pulled his hair back. "I am."

"Where are we going, brother-in-law?" Nirik asked following him into the bathroom.

Shaugn gave him a curious look. Why did children enjoy following their parents into the bathroom? He could never understand this. "Your brother is leaving for a few days. I need to look in on the harem and a few other things."

"You don't have to do those things. Just get a servant to do them."

"It's not good to be absent for too long." Shaugn looked at himself in the mirror. "People become restless and start doing the most."

"The most what?"

Shaugn paused. The most was a phrase understood by just about everyone from his time. No one had heard of it here. "Doing the most means causing trouble or doing more than necessary."

Nirik frowned in confusion. "Why would they want to cause trouble?"

Ah to be so young and innocent. Free from the treachery of vicious women and jealous men. Shaugn sighed in his heart. "Because they're too idle and have nothing better to do."

"Ah. Then I shall accompany you."

Shaugn rubbed his chin and eyed Nirik seriously. "It would be inappropriate for you, an unmarried, to go to the harem."

Nirik's nose wrinkled in disgust. "I don't want those old hags."

Who the hell you callin' old? The oldest member of the harem was three years older than Xoan. Did that make Shaugn ancient then? He was older than all of them. 

Shaugn smacked Nirik in the back of the head. "Mind your tongue. Those are the emperor's people. They are royalty. You can't just run around insulting them as you please."

Nirik rubbed his head with a pout. "What did I say wrong? Besides, I'm the emperor's son. Am I not of higher status than they?"

Give me strength, Shaugn prayed. He eyed this brat and shook his head. "It's not polite. As the son of the emperor, you are a reflection of him and me. One would think we were bringing you up to be a hoodlum with a foul mouth and no manners."

"I'll fight anyone who dares to say so." He punched the air twice to emphasize his point.

Shaugn's eye twitched. "I rest my case."

After he finished in the bathroom, he went back into the bedchamber. Akechi helped him dress in a dark blue kurta with a sheer cloak called a bisht trimmed in gold. His twists were pulled back and a simple ribbon tied around the middle. Akechi put simple gold hoops in his ears then declared him fit to be seen in public.

Shaugn slipped on a pair of sandals similar to his Nike slides then left his room with Nirik, Akechi, Kazim, Radagar, and Daga in tow. He wasn't 100% on the cougar but Daga had been well behaved since coming back during Faizan's visit. 

Guards outside the door stood a little straighter as he passed them by. The servants greeted him by kneeling as he passed. Shaugn felt awkward at first but had to remind himself he was the empress and this was only right.

They walked through a long corridor adorned with tapestries and paintings. Vining plants hung from the ceiling to the floor providing a living curtain with visual appeal. He gave a thumbs up to whoever came up with the décor. It made the palace seem less stuffy and gloomy.

"Your plants are doing well, majesty," Nirik mused.

Shaugn gave an awkward smile. Seems he indeed had good taste.

*Hope you're all having an awesome day. 😊

**We bout to meet some of the consorts. What do you think will happen?

His Favored EmpressOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara