"I Felt Your Heart Jump"

Monday
The sound of your alarm got you out of bed at six o'clock. It was the first day of a new week and also just happened to be the night Casey and Steve were going to watch horror movies together. Your best friend made sure you knew that over the phone last night.

You picked out an outfit to go with your mood this morning and ate a small breakfast before saying goodbye to your mom and heading out the door to school.

"Hey girl." Tatum's friendly voice called out from passed your front door.

"Hey Tate!" You walked down your front steps waving to Tatum as you hurried to hop into her car, "Were you waiting for me? How sweet."

Tatum lived a few houses down and usually was making her way down the street when you walked out of your house.

"Whatever," She sighed, "Dewey is totally superstitious this week and just wants to keep everyone save." Tatum rolled her eyes at this and pulled out into the road, "Lame."

Dewey was Tatum's older brother and also a sort of older brother to you as well. He worked as a town deputy and always spilled the town scoop to you, Tate and Sid, even if it would sometimes get him in trouble.

"Why are we going this way?" You ask as you realize Tatum pulled out of the intersection at the wrong turn to school.

"We're picking up Sidney, Dewey's orders." Tatum put a hand on the car radio and turned up  the nob. "The Halloween songs are playing now!" She screams over the loud music.

Don't Fear The Reaper was playing loud now in the car, with you and Tatum singing along as she pulled up to Sidney's house.

A preppy brunette came running down the pathway from her house and opened the passenger door motioning for you to scoot over.

"Hey Sid!" You and Tatum almost said in unison, you hugged Sidney as she scooched her way into the car next to you.

Now you were currently in between the two girls up front, hoping a sheriff wouldn't be waiting around somewhere.

"Halloween music?" Sid questioned giving you a hug back.

"Well duh," Tatum laughed making a, probably illegal, U-turn to get back in the direction of school. "Speaking of Halloween, are you girls going to Stu's on Friday?"

"He hasn't given me an invitation." You said resting against Sidney as the two of you showed each other your school work from last week.

"He's handing them out today, but it's obvious the two of you will get one anyways."

Tatum was right, the three of you plus Randy, Billy and Stu had been pretty close ever since grade school. Casey filtered as your friend, she was more of your best friend before she started dating your ex.

"I don't know..." Sid took her eyes off the homework and stared out the window.

"Come on Sid." You begged folding your hands together.

"Yeah Sidney it would be a cool way to get your mind off everything, I mean with this week being-"

"Tatum!" You said nudging her with her elbow. She scrunched up her face as if to say ahh I forgot, sorry!

"It's fine, I just don't know if I'm up to it." Sidney shrugged.

"It's up to you Sid, but your always welcome." You put your arm around her shoulder and she smiled softly and rested her head against your shoulder.

There was a good ten minutes left of blasting Halloween music in Tate's car before the three of you hopped out and into the parking lot of school.

"Well hello and welcome to another day in hell, tickets will be thirty dollars per class." Randy said in a high pitched cartoonish voice as he met up with the three of you.

"Oh here you go!" Tatum said digging in her bag, instead of pulling out the money though she took her hand out of her purse with her middle finger sticking up.

"Hell's letting you in for free." Randy said grumbling. You playfully pushed his shoulder and he pretended to be hurt.

"Hey Sid." He said shyly as you and him locked arms.

"Hey Randy." She said just as shyly before a boy with medium dark hair came up behind her and put his hands around her waist, kissing her neck. "Oh- Billy you scared me!" She laughed.

"Billy is here, shocker." Randy mumbled under his breath quiet enough that only you could here.

"They are boyfriend and girlfriend-" You started as Randy interrupted you with a mocking tone.

"Boyfriend and girlfriend." He sing-songed "My ass-"

You covered his mouth with your hand as Billy looked up at the two of you.

"You were saying something Meeks?" Billy cocked his head and gave Randy a sly smile.

Before Randy could come up with a good excuse Sidney distracted Billy with some story about her Dad being out of town.

"You're coming with me to the principal's office, okay?" Tatum gestured to you.

"Huh, why?" You asked confused, still walking towards the building with Randy and the others behind.

"We missed gym Friday doofus," She smiled, "We have to come up with some reasonable excuse."

"What other then 'We were out shopping Mr. Himbry. I know we missed class but I got this really cute bag-" Tatum cut off Stu before he could go any further.

Stu had walked up behind the group and made most of you jump as he laughed towards Tatum.

"I felt your heart jump." Randy whispered to you as you were still smiling at Stu, who was now smiling back.

"No- shut up." You whispered back looking up at the boy who still had his arm over your shoulder, and was at least a head taller than you.

The group made it into the school and Tatum immediately took your hand and led you away from Randy.

"We don't have a fucking excuse, we're going to be so dead." Tatum sighed throwing herself down on the bench outside of Principal Himbry's office.

"Calm down, we'll just say we were coming back from lunch and got caught in traffic. It's not a total lie."

"Yeah," Tatum smiled sitting up, "It's Himbry's fault for allowing students to go off campus for lunch."

"True, but don't bring that up-" You said quietly as you followed Tate into Himbry's office.

The principal had a chunky computer on his desk he was typing away at, when he saw the two of you walk in his face light up, in a disturbing way.

"Ahh, girls!" He stood up and walked over to the two of you and sitting you each at the seats across from his. "What brings you in today?"

Tatum dug through her purse and pulled out two absent slips and placed them on Himbry's desk. "We missed gym on Friday, it was after lunch and-"

"Oh don't worry about it." He took the slips off the desk and ripped them up over the trash can.

"Really?" You question, "That's it?"

"Yes! Of course!" He smiled at both of you, which made you and Tatum twist uncomfortably in your seats. "Matter of fact..." He typed away at his computer, "There! Now there is no record of you ladies ever being absent."

"Wow thanks Mr. Himbry-"

"Oh please call me Arthur." Mr. Himbry said, interrupting Tatum, and leading us out the door.

"Yeah no thanks." You laughed as Tatum said this under her voice. "What a perv." She laughed as the two of you walked down the hall from his office.

"Damn straight, at least we got excused from missing school." You said, first period was about to start and the two of you didn't want another trip to Himbry's office.

"Cya at lunch." Tatum waved and you waved back.

The bell rung as you walked into class and saw Stu had left an open seat for you right next to his.