Chapter Seven

Seven

“What are you wearing to the party?” Peter asked, his anxious voice coming through Jess’ cell phone.

It was Friday night and Jeremy was due to pick Jess up in only fifteen minutes, and she had only just gotten herself dressed. Peter had called minutes before to do his usual pre-party stressing. Peter was always overly stressed about how he dressed on certain occasions. Tonight was no different.

“Pete! Calm down. What you had on today was fine!” Jess exclaimed, stifling a snigger.

“I so cannot wear what I wore today! I mean everyone already saw me wear that at school! I have a reputation for how I dress, Jessica Wynter! Just because you can’t be bothered to pay better attention at what you throw on in the morning, doesn’t mean the rest of us are the same!” Peter’s voice trilled, losing all patience.

“How about you wear your favourite jeans paired with that long sleeved black V-neck tee and…that blue scarf of yours!” Jess said helpfully, pulling her answer out of her ass, as she was more preoccupied on her own reflection staring back at her. 

There was a gasp and a loud clatter of something crashing on the other end, then; “IDEA!” Peter exclaimed excitedly, “Thank you!”

“See you there,” Jess said, before she hung up, knowing full well he wouldn’t show up in what she just suggested.

Turning back to her vanity, she critically stared at her reflection in the mirror.

Peter was right. She hardly ever dressed up or really bothered to look overly nice. But as she was this time being picked up by a guy- a straight guy, that happened to be very good looking not to mention one she liked very much- she decided to put a bit more effort into her appearance. Thus her chosen outfit. She wore black flats with her faded skinny jeans with a stylish red shirt that clung to her tiny body but was looser at the top, hanging off her shoulder. The necklace she hardly wore from her mother hung around her neck. Mrs. Wynter had given the silver necklace to her when she had first told Jess about her abilities, telling her it would protect her. Etched onto the pendant was a symbol of some sort that Jess hadn’t a clue what it meant. All the same it was beautiful and a treasured gift from her mother. She wore her favourite pair of faded skinny jeans and her usual converse, red tonight to match her shirt. Her hair was down, falling in its usual messy chic style, with the exception that she’d pinned her bangs up in a French braid off to the side. 

Jess was in the process of applying her lip gloss when Jean called up the stairs to tell her Jeremy was at the door.

“Coming,” she called back down the stairs glancing herself up and down in the mirror before leaving her room. She stuffed her cell in her back pocket of her jeans as she walked down the stairs.

“Why didn’t you tell me such a good looking guy was picking you up?” Jean asked, pinching Jess’ arm, giving her a wink.

“Jeremy, this is Jean, Jean this is Jeremy,” Jess said, doing the usual introductions, ignoring Jean’s .

 “Nice to meet you,” Jeremy said, holding his hand out for Jean.

“Yes, it’s quite nice to meet you too,” She said, taking his hand, “Now go! You two have fun!”

 “I haven’t told you yet, but you look amazing tonight,” Jeremy said, as they walked down to the truck, his voice husky as his eyes taking her in.

“Well you look pretty good yourself!” Jess said, slipping her hand in his back pocket.

Under his leather jacket, he wore a dark sweater which was very nice fit on his tight athletic build. His jeans were more loosely fitted and had a washed out look to them, than the tight jeans he had worn earlier that day, he had also styled his hair in a spiky look.