Chapter 18

"I heard what all happened, Rayne. Are you okay?"  Merry asked. I smiled and spoke,  "I'll get through it, I guess. I'm strong."  Merry gave me a weak smile and spoke,  "He told me how he felt, and from what he told me, I believe ti wouldn't be good for either of you to be in that relationship."  I stared blankly at the wall in silence; he grabbed my hand and whispered,  "Don't stay strung on him for too long. That won't be any good."  I nodded and announced,  "I'll move on eventually. I mean.."  I began to feel dizzy, and my heart was slowing down. I took in a deep breath and regained my senses.  "I can't stay sad forever, right?"  Merry smiled and patted my shoulder,  "That's the spirit."  I smiled back and asked,  "Has anything changed between you two?"  Merry slightly nodded and spoke,  "He's been more distant since I snapped at him. I've been talking to him a lot, trying to cheer him up."  I nodded as he spoke,  "I need to go; I left some food on the fire. I'll come back soon."

I've been sitting on the same spot of the floor for hours; I've cried all I can while I was with Pippin. I feel so.. so empty without him. I sighed and stood up and walked into the kitchen, grabbing an orange and peeling it. I sat down at the table and finished as Pippin walked in. I looked up as I threw the peelings into my garden and walked over to him.  "I'm here for my things,"  he announced quietly. I nodded and continued going about my business, trying to ignore him.  "So, where will you be moving off to?"  He informed,  "I'll be staying with Merry; he offered."  I nodded as he packed things into his box. He picked up an old picture of us as children. We were holding hands, looks like we were running in a field, both of us laughing. I heard him chuckle and place it in he box. He jerked it out and held it up, quickly asking,  "Oh, did you want this?"  I smiled and slowly shook my head.

"Well, I suppose I'll be leaving now,"  he spoke,  "I'll see you around." He grabbed his box and walked out. I sat here in silence, not making any movements. I had no clue what to do; I was alone.That's the only way I could describe it. I stood up and decided to wash off. Afterwards, I slid on a dress and let my hair poof out. I looked in the mirror and spoke to myself,  "I need to get out of the house."  I walked out of the house and looked around; it was very bright out.. I walked to Frodo's house, avoiding Sam's, and walked inside.

"Hey, Rayne! How'd it go?"  He asked with a smile on his face. I looked up to him and shook my head. His smile disappeared as he ran over to me and hugged me.  "I'm so sorry, Rayne."  I hugged him back and sighed,  "It'll be fine, Frodo. It's really no big deal.."  Frodo pulled away from me and spoke,  "I know how much you love him; you can't fool me, Rayne."  I began to tremble in his arms, trying to keep myself from crying. My face muscles tightened as I threw my head on his shoulder and hugged him tightly. He set his head on mine as I whimpered,  "What did I do wrong?"  Frodo shook his head and whispered,  "You've done nothing wrong; you have been loyal, loving, and caring to only him and no other man. What more could he have asked for?"

Minutes later, he led me to a chair to sit.  "Would you like anything?"  He asked me. I shook my head and took a few deep breaths.  "Say, Rayne, didn't Gandalf say you had that.. oh.. I don't know.. the, um... Oh yeah! The one ability to hypnotize people with your voice?"  I looked at him and laughed out,  "I will NOT use that one Pippin!"  Frodo laughed and spoke,  "Why not?"  I shook my head and chuckled a little more. He looked somewhat satisfied that he was able to make me laugh at such a dark time.  "If you ever want to talk to someone, I'm only a few minutes away."  I nodded and smiled as he continued,  "I don't care what time it is. If I'm not here, I'm at the bar, in the same corner as always."  I smiled and nodded again, hugging him.

As I left, I was Pippin and Merry running to do something stupid. They'd probably get in trouble for it. I walked inside my home and locked my door. I sat on my bed in silence and thought of what I could do. I stood and walked to a closet, where my traveling bag was. I smiled as I pulled out a flute and assembled it. I remember buying it from one of the human areas we visited. I smiled as I polished the shine.

Pippin's P.O.V.

"Come on, Pippin,"  Merry commanded, dragging me out of his house with a smile on his face. We passed by Rayne as she was exiting Frodo's house. Merry waved as we ran off.  "Where are you taking me?"  I asked with a slight frown. I didn't want to go out today.  "It's only five, Pippin, we must have some kind of fun!"  We continued running until he lead me to a small pond.  "This is what you call fun?"  I asked. Merry rolled his eyes and spoke,  "Stop being so sad, Pippin.. just sit here and relax."  As I sat down, I retorted,  "How could I not be sad? I let the girl I lvoe go. There's no telling if we'll ever get back together."  Merry spoke,  "Then why'd you leave her?"  His tone got serious quickly;  I answered,  "So she can have someone as good as her."

Merry's face scrunched up as I continued,  "I couldn't talk to her all those months because I was.. I was so sick with myself. I still am; how could she ever have wanted me, Merry? I just want her to know what she deserves.. She deserves better than me. I couldn't be with her knowing that. I felt like I was somehow cheating her out of having better."