E I G H T

"Are you having a staring contest with a baby?" Jarvis asked as he sat down on the couch. Tony lay on the floor, Peter across from him, the two just staring at each other. Tony didn’t answer at first, watching Peter slowly blink before looking at Jarvis. “Sir? How entertaining was that for you?” The android raised an eyebrow and smirked as Tony rolled his eyes. 

“Shut up J.” The man kept his smirk but didn’t say anything else. Peter crawled a bit closer to his dad but then laid down, making eye contact with Tony again. "See he starts it!" Tony turned back to his assistant who gave him an unimpressed look. 

The baby giggled as Tony grumbled and turned over to lay on his back. Peter crawled over, sitting next to Tony and gently hitting his chest. "Dada!" The boy screeched, making Tony laugh. 

Tony gave Jarvis a look. “See? He’s even laughing.” Tony rolled onto his back, smiling as Peter patted his cheek. The boy babbled before screeching dada once more, giggles falling from his mouth.

"Yes, I'm right here." When Peter first started calling him dada, it made him so happy, The avengers thought he would never stop smiling. He even downloaded the security footage and watched it until tears no longer sprung in his eyes. 

He never thought he'd be a dad, and seeing that he provided a better home for Peter never fails to choke him up. "Dada," Peter mumbled as he tried climbing over Tony just to be grabbed and tickled. 

Tony smiled as Peter struggled and laughed uncontrollably for a minute before Tony let him go. Peter laid on his chest, giggles still escaping him. "So Jar, what's for lunch? Has the team decided?" 

"They were thinking of going out Sir, if you would like, I could stay here with Peter." Jarvis watched Tony lay there, a frown now on his face as he placed a gentle hand on Peter's back. 

The android knew how hard it was for the genius to go out without Peter, but he was fearful of what would happen if the world knew. Enemies would most likely try to get their hands on the baby and everything would have to get more complicated.

"I don't know." The billionaire finally spoke, still looking conflicted. "I want you to go out as well J, it's not fair if only one of us goes." The blond shrugged and set his book down. 

"Well, you do need food, Sir. I wouldn't mind staying behind, it's just lunch, the most you'll be gone is an hour and a half." Jarvis reassured Tony, standing to stand by him. "Nothing will happen to Peter while you're gone." 

Tony looked up with a soft smile. "Of course nothing will, he's being protected by you." Tony stood with Peter in his arms. "I'll go, just call me if anything happens." 

The android rolled his eyes with a smile, following the shorter man to the common area. "Aw look who it is." Clint cooed as he took Peter from Tony. "You coming to lunch Tones?" The archer asked as he gently ticked the child. 

"Yea, Jarvis is gonna stay here with Peter." Tony grabbed his suit jacket from a chair, watching the team decide what they want. 

"When are you gonna take him out of the tower?" Steve asked, turning to face Tony. "I mean, I'm sure all of us can protect him."

"Steve is right. You won't be the only one protecting Peter and it'll be good for him to get a bit more." Natasha gently handed Jarvis Peter, smiling and waving to the kid who giggled and waved back. 

"I will soon, just want to make sure nothing does hurt him. But soon." The rest nodded and started for the elevator, all saying bye to Peter. "I'll be back," Tony told the two before leaving.