Jack read the letter over and over again. Behind his mask stood an expression that could be described as a scowl. He knew why the smell was so familiar now.

"Dear Stranger,
I wouldn't mind sharing the story. I was attacked a while ago - Well, not really attacked but I was there when someone attacked a person. For all I know it could've been a drunk guy roaming the streets, but the problem is that a body was discovered in the forest I happened to be passing by at the time, so who knows. Maybe that someone was the murderer, maybe not. This whole murder thing has started to get on my nerves, to be honest with you. I'm doing a fun research with a friend about it actually. From what we've seen the murderer could be involved with some kind of a cult. What do you think about this murderer on the run? Do you think they'll get caught?"

He didn't like the sound of this one bit. His human was the person underneath the car on that night, he had realized. He should've killed her then. He could've made it, run away on time.

It was too late to mop about it now however, unfortunately for him. She was very lucky then, but now he had to deal with her in a way that wouldn't require murder.

Killing her would rise suspicion, especially because it could be a possibility that her friends know about her leaving letters. He knows that the Oliver guy knows about it.

Jack had no proper idea about how he would make her stop with the researches she had been doing without killing her. Thinking about it, it would be very hard for her to actually dig up any information on him.

There were only a couple of articles of his disappearance when he used to be human, the only thing tying it all together were the kidneys.

The goddamn kidneys.

Even if she found the articles, she could think it was all a coincidence. His murders haven't been televised or written about for nearly four years.

For some reason, he couldn't bring himself up to even try and kill her. Jack leaned his back on the tree and looked up at the sky. The stress of the situation irritated him. Looking back at the letter, Jack stuffed it in his pocket and took the new paper.

Writing it down and stuffing it back in the tree, he turned to the direction of his shed and ran. He'd have a lot of work to do.

(Y/N) stared at her laptop, squinting her eyes to get a better read.
"Lauren, come take a look at this."
Lauren walked over to her friend and stared at the screen. The screen showed a mask that looked like the one from the newspaper, only in higher resolution.

That stupid mask.

"Is it the same mask?" Lauren questioned.

"I think so, that's why I called you. I found it on some kind of a forum."

The girl clicked off of the picture to reveal a post from a website that seemingly died out. The layout of it looked old. Taking a better look at the post, Lauren noticed that the post itself was written around ten years ago.

"Ten years ago? How long has that cult been active for?"

(Y/N) only shrugged, now looking at the smaller picture of the mask.

"I don't know, but listen to what the actual post says" she began reading –

"Hello everyone, I'm new on these forums, so forgive me if the post seems messy. Recently I have been invited to join a cult by a friend. I've been keen on joining one for the longest time, but never gave it a good thought. The picture I attached is a mask my friend and the rest of the cult wears. He never told me who the cult worships, so I was hoping that someone recognizes this mask and can give me a second opinion. Thanks." – as if the internet is a good place for such things." (Y/N) exhaled.

"Look at that response, it's got a link on it. Click it."

The (H/C) girl clicked on the link, prepared for a shitty screamer to pop up, but was pleasantly surprised when a regular website opened. This website was in no better condition than the previous one. Looking even older, the girls could only think that the last posts on their forums were made for museums.

"THE CULT OF CHERNOBOG" it read.

"Bingo!" Lauren beamed as (Y/N) chuckled. Skimming through the page of contents they noticed that there were several questions that had links attached to them, most likely leading them to the answer of each question.

"Who is Chernobog?" was one of the first ones (Y/N) clicked on.

"Chernobog is the name of the God of bad fate worshipped by the Polabian Slavs. He is first mentioned by Helmold in the Chronica Slavorum written in 1168-1169. Polabian Slavs, our brothers and sisters, a collective term applied to a number of Lechitic tribes who lived along the Elbe river in what is today Eastern Germany."

The two girls continued reading in silence, each sentence stunning them even more. While the first couple of sentences were explaining who the God is, everything else was preaching and cryptic messages scattered around. Leaving the tab, the girls clicked on the "Brothers and Sisters" one.

"Our brothers and sisters, who have been with us for decades, leading their children into the beautiful world of salvation have always been welcome to stay and leave. We welcome all who wished to be blessed by the eternal darkness that our savior gives us."

Shivers ran down (Y/N)'s spine, and she believed that Lauren wasn't any better. Clicking away from the tab, she looked around the website, spotting a tab that had "Pictures" written on it. Pressing the mouse, (Y/N) and Lauren were met with an album.

Pictures of multiple people standing next to each other presented themselves in circles, straight lines, around fires, sleeping even. One thing that tied them all together were the masks. The mask from the newspaper rested on each and every face from the pictures.

Scrolling down, the girls froze in place. The pictures below many 'normal' ones no longer only looked eerie. There were pictures of their rituals. Rituals that apparently involved sacrificing humans.

(Y/N) no longer had what to see, so she clicked on the little red X in the corner of her laptop and closed it.

"I think that was enough." She spoke, her voice no stronger than a whisper. Lauren only nodded and returned to her spot. (Y/N) stared at her closed laptop while trying to process what she saw.

"We should head home, It's almost five." Lauren spoke, dread evident in her voice. The girls only packed their things in silence and walked out of the library. They both paused for a while before looking at each other, hugging and leaving without a word.

(Y/N) felt herself tear up. Those were actual living people getting sacrificed. She had many questions running through her head. Why would they do that? Why would they take pictures and post it on the internet? Were they still active? Has anyone ever made it out alive?

There is no way in hell I've gotten myself into this mess.

The longer she thought about it the sicker she felt. She at least knew what the cult was now, but couldn't help and feel even worse for the missing boy. What if he didn't go missing? What if they sacrificed him and buried him somewhere?

She could only hope that she was wrong and that he just simply disappeared. She hoped that maybe he used the fire that night as an excuse to run away from – hell knows, an abusive family? Maybe bullies?

These thoughts wouldn't leave her head, but she knew she'd have to put them on hold when she gets home. She'd have a long night to think about if it's smart to continue and search for more things. For now, she knew that what she saw was just too much for her.
————————————————————
Hi :)
First of all I'd like to thank you for all those votes,, It all just came out of nowhere and It honestly made me so happy! I'm very thankful and glad you people are enjoying the story. I don't really have anything else to say for now, so I'll be off. Thank you so much again and please drink water, get enough sleep and take care of yourselves <3