Chapter 4 - Code L

Start from the beginning

You would be used as a one-man Black Ops unit to solve whatever problems your 'renters' desire. Totalitarian factions, terrorist cells, hell he would probably even rent you to the Blitz if they cared about money! You would be sent to kill innocents, and Heroes, Gabe. Holmes doesn't do any of his real business with friendly people." Jimmy sighed.

"They might even send you after the Sentinels." He finished in a hushed tone.

If Gabriel were sent to fight Sentinels, he would die, no two ways about it. Just one of the Shield would be enough to turn him to paste. There would be no luck to save him. Attacking the Supers he looked up to so much was something he would never accept.

His mind made up, he said, "As if I would ever agree to be used that way. We need to get out of here as soon as we can. Together."

Holmes would butcher Jimmy for letting company property escape. Leaving him behind was not an option. They could sneak out quickly, within the next couple of hours if they hurried.

He might be able to hold off any guards that they ran into, but that would only happen if someone raised the alarm. They should be able to reach the upper basements - if not the lobby - without raising much suspicion. It would be a short sprint to freedom through the security checkpoint on the ground floor.

They could contact the Houston Police or the Sentinels to get help.

Thinking of maintaining his composure when they got outside left Gabriel at a blank. For all his brains, he had no idea what to do. The thought of the mad rush through the city streets hit him like cold water.

Gabriel's anxiety started again, overpowering his logic and making him feel that staying could be a better option. Tears began to form as he struggled with the soul-crushing fear of the outside world.

Jimmy noticed how Gabriel's expression suddenly went from determined to defeated. "There's something else you need to know." He said.

Grateful for the escape from his mental torture, the Super asked. "What!?" The word came out angry.

Gabriel hated how he couldn't shake his anxiety. "Sorry, what do you mean Jimmy?" He noticed the scientist's tears. "Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you, it was just..." His eyes fell.

"I know what you were thinking about," Jimmy replied. "I know your chronic anxiety hurts you a lot more than you let on, but it's time for you to know that it's not your fault. What we told you about your mutations... was a lie."

Gabriel couldn't believe his ears. All the time he had spent hating himself and his broken mind. Hearing that it wasn't him brightened his spirits for an instant. Then the look on Jimmy's face sank in.

It was shame.

"Go on." He said evenly.

"When you started designing your Neural Link, Holmes started a project involving psionic technologies. When you let the surgeons implant the Link in your brain, they also added a small psychic emitter under his orders.

It was designed to generate intense fear and programmed to respond to your thoughts of going outside this building. Holmes meant for it to keep you here, controlled. You never noticed because they slowly amped it up as time went by. That way it would resemble a natural psychological imbalance. They planned to turn it off when you were in the field to trick you into believing you wanted to be there."

Gabriel's eyes widened with each word. The elation he'd felt became despair. "So my fear isn't my fault, but this thing is in my brain. What do we do?" Gabriel asked, afraid there was no solution other than invasive removal.