Life in the Flames-12

Start from the beginning

"Have you ever been to a ball like this?" she asked with her arms folded across her chest.

"No."

"It takes a long time to get ready," she came over and grabbed my arm, "and you need to look your best."

...

"I've worked my magic once again!" Breezy said pleased with herself. "You must see yourself!" she said as she dragged me from my seat on my bed over to the mirror. My breath caught as I took in my new appearance.

The dress was a perfect fit and looked even more beautiful on than on the hanger. The full cobalt skirt wasn't overpowering or as large as I thought it would have been. The periwinkle bodice hugged my body showing off my fit figure where the bow circled around my waist. A pair of periwinkle heels that matched the flower embroidered sweetheart bodice was hidden beneath my skirt. The moon pendant and matching earrings lay in their places. Breezy had added touches of color to my eyes that made them stand out even more. Then my hair had taken the longest. She had pulled most of my hair back, singly braided the different parts of it, and then fashioned it into a bun on my head. Then she took a blue ribbon to hold it all up other than the few curls she had left around my face.

I had never actually thought myself as beautiful, but the new style seemed to fit me perfectly. I felt tears wanting to form in my eyes from realizing how much I looked like my mother, but I prevented them from falling.

Suddenly a knocking came from my door and Breezy went to open it to reveal Talisa.

"You look beautiful miss!" she said holding a small blue box in her hand. "I was asked to bring this to you and inform you that dinner will take place in the next thirty minutes."

She handed me the lightweight box and I thanked her. Talisa also complimented Breezy's smaller purple dress she was wearing since she was also going to perform tonight.

"Don't just stare at it, open it!" Breezy said anxiously.

I pulled back the lid to find a small, sliver, circlet that had small diamonds inlaid upon it. Then where it came up in a point an aquamarine gem was centered at the top. I held it up to admire the delicateness and beauty of it.

"A tiara? Reid sent you that too?" Breezy asked.

"Who sent this?"

"I'm unsure. I was just asked by a fellow servant to bring it to you," Talisa stated.

Breezy walked over, took the tiara from my hands, and gently placed it atop my head; completing my appearance for the night.

"Are you sure you don't know who sent this?" I asked Talisa once again.

"Sorry, but no miss."

"Never mind who it is from! It's gorgeous and it fits you perfectly!"

"Yes miss, I agree. You look very stunning this evening," Talisa said with a shy smile.

I stood there and stared at the elegant figure in the mirror. She looked like totally different things than my usually appearance: confident, poised, and radiant; but also the same in many ways.

Suddenly trumpets sounded through the early evening air and cheering flooded inside my room through my open balcony door.

My heart started beating and my nerves sent slight trembles throughout my body. "It's time."

.....

Reid's POV

Drums sounded, trumpets called, and my people cheered as the royal procession pulled up in front of the palace in the early evening sunset.