The Glue

That night we created a small fire with some wood we found and we all sat by it. No one wanted to speak. Not for a long time. Until Minho broke the silence.

"I thought we were supposed to be immune?" He looks straight at the fire.

"Not all of us I guess," Teresa adds. I look at her. I never really spoke to her because she gave me a bad feeling. She just didn't seem trustworthy.

"If Winston got infected that means we should assume the rest of us can too." Newt speaks. I meet his eyes. He gives my hand a small squeeze.

"I can't believe I'm saying this but," Frypan lets a tear roll off his cheek, "I miss the glade."

"Me too," I lean my head on Newts shoulder. He leans his head on mine.

I've cried too much these last few days.

Thomas sits aside from us, looking out into the darkness. I'm sure he blames himself for Winstons death. After all he's the leader. I feel bad for him, having this enormous weight on your shoulders and he probably feels like he's failing us.

Newt seems to notice too. "I'll be right back love," he stands and walks forward to Thomas.

Newt's POV:

"You haven't slept a wink since we left the maze have you?" I ask. I notice he's holding on to the wooden carving that Chuck gave him seconds before he died.

Thomas doesn't answer.

"Look Frypan was just putting off some steam." I continue.

"He's right and I'm the reason we're stuck out here." Thomas speaks.

"No," I say, "you're the reason we're free. And the others may have their doubts but it's fine. They would follow you anywhere."

"They'd follow you too." Thomas adds.

"No it's different with me though. You know it is. We all have our roles to play."

"Newt I don't know where we're going." Thomas let's out. "I'm lost."

"And we've been lost before." I remind.

"Yeah not like This," Thomas looks at me.

"There is a place for us out there somewhere." I pause. "I don't know where it is. What I do know is that a lot of our friends have died for us to get this far. And so we can't give up." Thomas doesn't meet my eyes. "You can't give up. I won't let you."

Thomas finally looks at me. All I see is hurt in his eyes. This leader role is a big role to fill.

"Alright then. Get some sleep." I Pat him on the shoulder, trying to give him a reassuring grin.

Minho's POV:

I watch Newt as he finished up his chat with Thomas. He lifts himself off the ground before coming over to me.

"You alright Minho?"

"I'm fine," I simply say. No sassy remark as YN would call it.

"Just making sure," Newt pats my shoulder similar to how he did to Thomas. "Go to sleep,"

"I will shank."

Newt leaves and goes to where YN is already laying on the ground.

All of us are kind of losing hope at this point. It seems Newt is the only one who's sane enough to keep everyone together. It's almost like he's the glue to our group.

YN's POV:

Newt comes back from talking to Thomas and holds me around the waist as I lay uncomfortably on the ground. He brings me closer to his chest and I appreciate it because he's keeping me warm.

"I love you," I whisper.

"I love you too," Newt whispers into my ear. In just seconds, sleep overtakes me.

Quintin's POV:

I never worked on the maze trials project. I was always the one organizing tubes and serums, filling out paper work and printing out documents. My parents were doctors at WICKED.

I met YN, accidentally in the hallway one day. She was 15 and I was 16. She got lost and asked me for directions. She never mentioned that she was a maze subject. Hell I don't even know if she knew she was one. That she never told me. All I know is that we fell in love in a chaotic place. YN was my first love.

When I saw her again, I flipped! I was so excited so surprised. And it turned out she didn't even remember me. They had put her in the maze trials. They took her from me. I entirely lost hope of having her love me again when she mentioned she was with someone else. The blonde boy who took her and left WICKED. What else did I expect? She was the only girl in a maze full of strong, good looking boys. How could she not fall in love? I was just so torn.

"Quintin?" A voice brought me back to reality.

"Yes sorry," I shook my head and looked up at Doctor Camille.

"The results from Group A came in today and I wanted you to check them. Is that okay?" The middle aged woman who was kind of like an auntie to me asked.

I gulped. These were the documents that showed us who was and wasn't immune to the Flare. "Yes."

She handed me the stack of documents. It wasn't very large since only a handful of teens survived the maze.

It made me sad. Something my parents didn't want me to feel. 'It's all for the best.' They'd tell me. 'We have to find a cure.' It all seemed like bullshit to me. Having young kids be sacrificed for the human race. I couldn't say anything about it though. How could I? Where else would I go?

I took a deep breathe and took the documents Doctor Camille gave me, and I headed to my small office.

There were eight pieces of paper.

This could determine YN's fate, I thought. The girl I still loved could either be immune, or in grave danger, She could turn into a crank.

I didn't want to do it, but I had to. I sat up straight in my chair and read off to myself the results.

A/n - ooooooo Quintin gets to find out who's immune and who's not.

I forgot to mention that I sadly cannot respond to you guys' comments and it makes me so sad. Wattpad won't let me change my email and I can't comment or vote for anything. I do read your comments and I love all the feedback you leave me!

I'll update as soon as possible!